Zapier Auth token needs refreshing

I’m a Ghost(Pro) user and have setup the Zapier integration to automatically publish links to my posts as Tweets. This works great for a while but I think might not be publishing enough and hitting a timeout of some description.

After a while (not really sure how long…) Zapier emails me that there is an error with my integration:

Error Message:
	Ghost (1.0.3): Auth token needs refreshing.

After I login (to Zapier) and edit the integration signing in to Ghost again everything works fine and the error goes away.

Is this expected behavior and something is just timing out (ie I’m not posting enough for Zapier to have a fresh enough token) or is something not working as expected?

Hey @jloh :wave: Sorry you’re running into trouble! If you wanted to drop support@ghost.org a message we’d be happy to take a look into this for you.

1 Like

Is this expected behavior and something is just timing out (ie I’m not posting enough for Zapier to have a fresh enough token) or is something not working as expected?

Zapier is supposed to refresh the token automatically if it hits a 401 error. It sounds like that behaviour is buggy or something has changed in their platform that we need to address.

I’ll be investigating next Monday, I have a feeling that maybe the access token is being refreshed OK but it starts failing once the refresh token expires.

After I login (to Zapier) and edit the integration signing in to Ghost again everything works fine and the error goes away.

I think that will be the recommended workaround until we’ve got to the bottom of what’s going on,

@jloh another avenue to explore - do you remember changing your e-mail address or password in Ghost since setting up your Zaps the first time?

@kevin yeah I’m certain I haven’t changed it both times this has happened (this is now the second). I have logged in to Zapier again yet to rectify it if you need something to debug?

I have logged in to Zapier again yet to rectify it if you need something to debug?

No need, I just wanted to eliminate the password/email change as a possible source of the issues. Seems like Zapier isn’t retrying the auth when it’s supposed to, I’ll be looking into it next Monday so if you log in and rectify now :crossed_fingers: that will be the last time you need to do it.

@jloh A new version of our Zapier app has been released and all users migrated so you shouldn’t run into that error again in the future.

For anyone else finding this topic: If you have received the Auth token needs refreshing error you will need to log in to Zapier and click the “Reconnect” button for your Ghost blog under the “Connected Accounts” tab. Once you’ve done that you shouldn’t see the error again.

If you do get an Auth token needs refreshing error unexpectedly please let us know!