Add link option to gallery images so they are image links

I feel like the gallery image option is really missing the one feature that would take it to a whole new level of usefulness. An option to add a link turning the image into an image link.

Consider this scenario. I’m writing an article about using cast iron pans while camping. In the article, I’d like to use the gallery image card to put in images of the various recipes that I use because as we all know, a picture is worth a thousand words. I want the visitors to click on the image and be taken to the recipe instead of just having an image and then a link or just a bunch of links grouped together.

That is a modern flow that makes sense and gives a whole new dimension to our sites.

I also think all links should open in a new tab by default, something I do with a script now, so we can keep our pages active instead of directing to other sites but that’s for another topic.

This might make sense to merge with being able to even turn single images into links:

This was shipped in Ghost 4.0 in basic form. Similar to alt text it’s necessary to drag an image out of a gallery to make it an image card (or start with an image card), set the link on the image card using the toolbar icon, then drag the card back into a gallery.

The experience isn’t ideal at the moment but it’s at least possible now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Is it possible to have feature images as image links?

Hey @Kevin, I can’t seem to make this workaround work. If I start with an image card, add a link using the toolbar, and then drag it into the gallery, the link disappears. Am I missing something?

Use case - I’m trying to create a podcast page on my site (opsy.work). I’d like to add the cover art for each ep and then link to the individual page for each episode.

Just circling back to let anyone who comes across this thread - I confirmed with the Support team that this workaround no longer works in Ghost 5.0. Hopefully, linkable galleries will be supported in the future. :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Hi @carolinesyrup :wave: The workaround still works as it did before, nothing has changed in 5.0 in that regard. Some themes however have started introducing Lightbox style gallery viewers when clicking on gallery images, those can potentially override any links that are set on images so the gallery viewer is opened instead of the link.

Some of our official themes have that problem so we’ll be looking at fixing those. If you’re using a 3rd party or custom theme you may need to contact the theme developer.

1 Like

Got it! Thanks for clarifying, @Kevin. I’m using an official theme so I’ll have to wait for that fix.

All of our official themes that have a Lightbox gallery feature have been updated with a fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is Casper ever going to offer a lightbox?