Allow file upload to posts & pages

Every now and then I have the need to include a pdf or a zip file in a post or a page which I want the reader to have the option of downloading.

Of course I can add a link to a file on dropbox or similar sites, but I don’t find it very professional to link to another page to download a file.

My suggestion is to add the option of uploading files to something similar of the Bookmarks card so files can be hosted through ghost and not a third party site.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Attachments in sites/posts

This seems to be a duplicate of https://forum.ghost.org/t/attachments-in-sites-posts/1044

A post was merged into an existing topic: Attachments in sites/posts

A post was merged into an existing topic: Attachments in sites/posts

Hello!
I really would love to see it, when Ghost can handle attachments in blogposts or pages.
For example, I’d like to link to my PGP-Key on a site, but the uploader only accept image types.

@timscha if you have one-off files then you can place them in your theme for Ghost to serve. However if you’re looking to upload files often then I think this is probably a duplicate of Better image/file management & optimisation - #7 by chrisalley?

1 Like

@Kevin Thanks for the advice, I will try this!
I’m not really sure if it’s a dpulicate. I think it’s more an extension. :wink:

I’m not really sure if it’s a dpulicate. I think it’s more an extension. :wink:

Without a central media library it’s difficult to know what Ghost supposed to do with an uploaded file. Once a file is uploaded should it be inserted as a link, in a special downloads area, with certain UI?

We’re currently working on a new editor that will eventually allow expansion by adding custom “cards”. A valid use-case for that could be to have a “downloads” card or something similar within a post that can deal with uploaded files in a way that is suitable for the site owner’s particular use case.

3 Likes

Ok, you’re right. The way with a central media library sounds like a nice workflow for me.

Thanks for the link, I will take a look what you are working on! :slight_smile:

Every now and then I have the need to include a pdf or a zip file in a post or a page which I want the reader to have the option of downloading.

Of course I can add a link to a file on dropbox or similar sites, but I don’t find it very professional to link to another page to download a file.

My suggestion is to add the option of uploading files to something similar of the Bookmarks card so files can be hosted through ghost and not a third party site.

I like the idea, it is something that I am implementing on my site, I am looking for the best service for this result.
It would be perfect if it were done natively

Looks like the medial library idea got complete but a bit de-scoped. Time to revisit it?

Also Allow file upload to posts & pages seems to be a duplicate of this idea

Adding my voice to this request. I have some free ebook files I would like users to be able to download and I don’t want to route them through a third-party server. Something where you upload the files and can then just click to download would be perfect. Isn’t this sort of how images work already?

1 Like