Comment platforms

This is a theme that I can see has been drummed to death. However, I wanted to know if anyone knows if there are any commenting systems other than Cove that can integrate directly with Ghost Members?

We want to offer comments to members only. With current solutions, once logged in, members will need to log in again with third-party commenting system which is a bit off-putting.

Any thoughts?

This: Evergreen

Features for now seem to be very limited for this one. Not a lot of information available. :confused:

I gave Evergreen a try but I feel this is not ready for production. Hopefully, there is more to come and the inclusion of a little more information on the website wouldn’t go a miss.

I agree, it’s something of a beta. I went for a free test period and it’s still working, a month after it was supposed to have expired. Anyway the developer got in touch with me, helped me out and was very helpful and engaged. Hopefully he still intends to release a finished prodeuct. He announced the thing here once.

Hi Bert, what’s the reason you’re not going for Cove? Maybe I can help?

Just looking at options available before we make a decision.

Hey @Bert_O :wave:t4:

As far as I know, Evergreen is the only alternative to Cove that integrates directly with Ghost’s membership functionality.

Like others mentioned, it’s still very much a work in progress.

That said, I have a few users who are actively using it and are enjoying the experience.

Here’s a list of features you’ll get with Evergreen:

• “Native” comments with Ghost (like you mentioned)
  • Choose to allow comments from all members or just paid members
  • Customize the look and feel to match your site (easy to write custom CSS, if you’re into that)
  • Member avatars
  • No ads or tracking
  • Lightweight and fast
  • Easy integration w/ step-by-step instructions
  • Moderation tools (as an admin, you can hide or delete comments)
  • Markdown support

I’m also continuing to add features, and I provide support to help onboard new users and fix any issues they may run into.

Let me know if there’s anything I can help you with as you’re integrating Evergreen into your site!

My email is:
[my first name] [at] isaza [dot] dev

Best,
Dan

2 Likes

Dan, do members get notifications of replies as well as admin?

Thanks, Dan, I may consider this for a new project I am working on. Do you have a public changelog?

Yes, members get notified by email if someone replies to their comment.

They also have a settings page where they can turn notifications on and off for each thread they’ve commented on, or all threads.

Oh right and is done on your website?

Yes this is on a Cove-hosted page. The link is in the notification email.

So the user still has to interact with a third-party website. This is what I didn’t want. I will need to test this and see how intrusive it is so I can look at adding all of this to the terms and privacy policy.