Custom email series: welcome / retention / renewal

tl;dr Let newsletter writers set up automated retention emails (if condition X is met, send out predefined email Y)

First, I have to say I’m really impressed how Ghost has evolved recently as a tool for newsletter writers. So many great additions, not least with Ghost 4.0

As a longtime newsletter writer, I’ve learned how important it is to communicate clearly and proactively with your members, beyond the actual newsletter. For me, that includes:

• An automated, but custom written welcome email to each new subscriber to set expectations, do housekeeping, and generally make them feel welcome
  • A check-in email after the first few issues to ask for feedback, make them aware of some of the highlights from the archive, and tell them why upgrading to the premium version might be worth it
  • For paying members, a friendly reminder that their subscription is about to renew soon (also a great time to say thank you and remind them of some of the best issues).
  • A last thank you when someone cancels their paid subscription (and a last effort to get them to change their mind)

It would be great if Ghost natively implemented something like this. It’s so crucial for member retention. (Obviously, a welcome email alone would be a great start, I’ve seen that mentioned here and there already, but I wanted to put it in a bigger context)

Ghost has welcome pages that allow you to welcome to new members without needing to bounce back and forth between your website and their inbox.

Here’s how it works:

1. Someone enters their email address on your site
  2. They receive a sign up confirmation email in their inbox
  3. They click the link in the confirmation email and are automatically redirected to the welcome page on your site, where you can set expectations and make them feel welcome.

The sign up confirmation emails are important to ensure you don’t get a ton of spam members. These confirmation emails aren’t “welcome emails” but transactional emails that use transactional email infrastructure to ensure highest possible delivery rates.

When a new subscriber clicks the link in the transactional email, they have to be redirected somewhere — so for a smooth onboarding journey, it makes sense to have them automatically land on a custom welcome page as a logged-in member. From there they can stick around and browse more content from the archive. A common technique for welcome pages is to link to some of your most popular past issues or articles.

As for retention emails, thanks for sharing your use cases so clearly :)

FWIW it is possible to integrate with any ESP that has email automation functionality.

Here’s a few other features to check out:

2 Likes

@davidbauer I have built MemberKit, a platform to automate member retention emails such as welcome emails for Ghost. There is a discounted price for early adopters.

I am adding more triggers such as “user canceled their paid subscription” soon.

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

This is a very important feature that Ghost should have. Sending new members emails when they signup

Welcome pages are great, but a custom drip email sequence would make a big difference.

For the most engagement from readers, I would like to send an email at the outset that introduces them to the type of content to expect, how to interact, what their newsletter options are as well as a prompt to consider premium subscriptions. Basically much of what @davidbauer said.

I see many Ghost newsletters integrating automatic email sequences for new subscribers (or at least one welcome email) and I would like to see Ghost incorporate that into the product.

3 Likes

I’m definitely going to be using the tools @Kym suggested - but would also LOVE some custom email automations on both the welcome side + the expiration/lapse side. That would be amazing!

I love this idea, and I’m out of votes. So, here’s my unofficial upvote.

Hi together,

First of all I’d like to say thank you for the continuous improvements on Ghost.

I am having a feature request dealing with some sort of “on-boarding newsletters” for new subscribers.

Let’s assume I have created 7 posts which are part of a series called “Learning Node.js In 7 days” whereas each post contains content for one specific day. Now I’d like to have a feature comparable to an auto-schedule where every single new subscriber automatically receives the 7 posts for the following 7 days.

Once all 7 posts of the series have been sent, the mission is complete :slight_smile:

Is there any feature comparable to this planned?

Best regards
Daniel

1 Like

We recently published a tutorial on how to set up custom automated welcome emails for new Ghost members using Zapier that might be of interest here.

2 Likes

Very keen to have the reminders about annual subscriptions renewing.

1 Like

This functionally is a must.

2 Likes

Outpost now does all this and so much more. It’s amazing and you can test it out for free.

I previously built email sending into my Ghost tool, Cove (one of the only Ghost-specific tools for sending welcome emails).

I recently joined the team at email platform Loops and recently publishing our Zapier integration. I can tell you now that using Loops is a much better solution :innocent:

Here’s how you can send an email sequence to each new Ghost member with Loops, through Zapier:

• Create a “loop” (email sequence) in our editor. Make sure the loop starts with a “Contact added” trigger
  • Connect your site through Zapier, with Ghost’s “Member Created” trigger connected to the “Add a Contact” action in Loops
  • Also create a “Member Updated” > “Update a Contact” zap (so keep emails updated)

That’s it for the set up.

You can then add and edit all your emails and the sequence config within Loops (and see all emails sent, analytics etc)

If you can code, you could set up Ghost to send webhooks to a custom web application and use the Loops API to create/update contacts. This would bypass the cost of using Zapier but obviously a bit more involved.

On Loops’ free plan you can send up to 2,000 emails a month to 1,000 contacts, which should cover most sites :+1:

Happy to answer any questions. Leave a comment here or message me privately.