Emoji Autocomplete

I am the Big Fan of Emojis :100:

I am Looking for this Feature on Ghost

Add Emoji Options like Discourse

If you’re on Windows 10 or macOS then your OS has an emoji picker (with search) that you can use anywhere.

macOS: Ctrl+Cmd+Space

Windows 10: Windows+. or Windows+;

It’s unlikely that a non-native emoji picker or :smile: type emoji support will be added to the current markdown editor. With the upcoming Koenig editor there could eventually be a way to install an emoji app that adds a picker or :smile: support to the editor.

6 Likes

Why not just use Font Awesome? Find Icons with the Perfect Look & Feel | Font Awesome

You just pull their CSS into your pages in the code-injection section, then in your articles you embed <i> to get auto-sized icons - e.g. emoticons like:

<i class="far fa-thumbs-up"></i>
<i class="far fa-smile"></i>
<i class="far fa-meh"></i>
5 Likes

Retitled this idea to “Emoji Autocomplete” - because while we probably don’t want to build out a complex implementation of Emoji using images, we could definitely do an autocomplete helper tool

3 Likes

Please please allow an option to disable it, though.

I often run into a problem writing in French on Slack and Discourse: I have to put a space before a colon, and that triggers the autocomplete menu for emoji, which are writen like that :‍confused‍:

The way Twitter does it is great:

twitter%20emoji%20picker

To be clear: We are not going to do an Emoji Picker - that isn’t happening. This topic is being kept open to track support for Emoji Autocomplete as in:

1 Like

Then my comment stands, please take into account languages that require a space before the colon :slight_smile:

What about blog-specific custom emojis? Is that in the works?

GitHub - ryanoasis/nerd-fonts: Iconic font aggregator, collection, & patcher. 3,600+ icons, 50+ patched fonts: Hack, Source Code Pro, more. Glyph collections: Font Awesome, Material Design Icons, Octicons, & more <= This has even more emojis, pick whichever you like.
(Trouble is a JS-based system would make emoji picking easier, and IDK if Ghost can do that)

I am a big fan of emoji. Emojis are very much in use nowadays. This is a good idea to add emoji in the disclosure

Why did you close this topic?

I do not want to use emoji from Windows — it looks ugly. I followed this tutorial but it does not seem to work with Ghost 2.0. A little help?

https://iiaku.com/2017/03/31/how-to-add-emojis-to-your-ghost-blog/

Many thanks.

1 Like

This is may be a good as workaround, but not useful to much. When you type text, you can’t use embedded HTML, when you make embedded HTML, will be complicated to make there the text.

So, technically this solution is not the best. Should be some plugin/extension for this.

It was better 6 months ago - the new editor behaves differently. It used to be easier to just insert the HTML. Do you have a better suggestion or a plugin/extension? It would be popular :slight_smile:

Wow. I was today years old when I learned about this feature and I’ve been using Mac exclusively for nearly 5 years :rofl:

1 Like

I can not add emoji inline. Editor move it to next line as an image. Also there is no autocomplete fature. How can I use emojies on the same line?

1 Like

A good solution is use an emoji-picker utility that integrated with your OS. Usually they are launched by a global keyboard shortcut so they can be used with any app. After you select the emoji, it will either by copied to the clipboard or typed directly into whatever app is opened.

1 Like