How do I host Ghost on my laptop?

Hello,
We’ve recently started learning how to make websites in school, unfortunately with Joomla. During the next 2 weeks we will be working on our own websites and I am wondering if I can substitute Joomla with Ghost and will I be able to work on my website on the school computer?

I want to make my old laptop a server on which I will have a ghost website. Where do I start with it?
And I need to be able to modify the website on the external school computer. Will it be possible?

Please tell if it’s possible, if so, how to do it because I looked for “How to host a Ghost website” and the results showed on how to use it with some kind of online web server, and I want to use my ubuntu laptop instead.

Well… your own laptop running Ubuntu is pretty much the same with a web server running Ubuntu, so these articles apply to you as well:

Or the official guide for a local instal:

Cheers!

Is there a good tool to explain migrating from local to the web server? I see the Labs has an “export data” option,” but it might not actually grab everything?

Or

https://timothy-quinn.com/moving-a-self-hosted-ghost-blog-between-servers (but not sure if still valid).

That .json file will include media as well? (Like post images, headers, etc.)

Nope, it only includes most of the database - You need to export your theme and images separately

So, it does include text posts but not the images and themes?

Yep!

Summary of export capabilities

Haha, thanks. Clearly I need to read the docs more.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.