How to troubleshoot email open rate being 0%?

Anyone viewing this over…If you use Cloudflare, the proxy status for that CNAME record needs to be put to DNS ONLY.

Two areas that you should update if using Mailgun.

1. Ghost admin: Setting → Email newsletter settings. Add your domain and your API key which is found here.
  2. Edit your config.production.json and add in your SMTP password.

For the transactional emails, should we use mailgun as well or it isn’t necessary?
What’s the best practice?

For my part, transactional email are working fine out of the box. I only set mailgun for the newsletters.

1 Like

Personally, I’m using Mailgun for both transactional and newsletter. Prefer it because of the domain authentication which will ensure that the email is originated from an authorised system and it prevents spammers from stealing the identity of legitimate entities.

And it only takes a few extra clicks and fairly simple to implement.

1 Like

It isn’t necessary to use Mailgun for transactional emails, but I would certainly recommend doing so.

1 Like

Hello,

I have the same issue but the solution is not working:

• newsletter sent properly (4500+ subscribers)
  • in Mailgun, open events and open-rate data are recorded correctly
  • BUT those data are not visible in Ghost back office : neither in member page (events and opened stats) and in the Post list.

Settings:

• digital ocean droplet + ghost fully updated
  • Private API key verified
  • Mailgun flex account
  • Nothing relevant in the error log
  • I waited 10+ hours for parsing delay but nothing happened
  • Tried on 4 different newsletters

Production log : many time the same stuff, seems ok for me but not sure at all:

{“name”:“Log”,“hostname”:“dixit”,“pid”:1376,“level”:30,“worker”:{“resourceLimits”:{“maxYoungGenerationSizeMb”:46.5,“maxOldGenerationSizeMb”:1966,“codeRangeSizeMb”:0,“stackSizeMb”:4},“threadId”:11},“msg”:“Worker for job “email-analytics-fetch-latest” online”,“time”:“2022-01-05T21:01:52.112Z”,“v”:0}
{“name”:“Log”,“hostname”:“dixit”,“pid”:1376,“level”:30,“msg”:“Worker for job email-analytics-fetch-latest sent a message: Fetched 300 events and aggregated stats for 1 emails in 1328ms”,“time”:“2022-01-05T21:01:53.918Z”,“v”:0}
{“name”:“Log”,“hostname”:“dixit”,“pid”:1376,“level”:30,“msg”:“Worker for job email-analytics-fetch-latest sent a message: done”,“time”:“2022-01-05T21:01:53.919Z”,“v”:0}

It seems the data flow from Mailgun to Ghost is not working properly. Any idea ?

Thank’s for your support.

Edit: It’s working now, and I don’t know why.

Hey brendantko, i was facing the same issue but then i realised the only thing i need to do now is to warm up my email domain so my email deliverability does not drop down. Since then my open rate has increased significantly and i have been enjoying a stress-free email marketing.