Installing Ghost on a shared host

@radimo I did thorough, in-depth comparisons among many platforms, including Digital Ocean.

I run my mission-critical Ghost sites on FastComet’s Shared Hosting – specifically the FastCloud Extra plan. I can tell you after a year now, the following, in comparison to my several months running Ghost on Digital Ocean:

1. For me, the ability to simultaneously run multiple additional instances of Ghost (6 or so separate and discrete instances of Ghost that I use for development, testing, and experimentation, and theme comparisons), in addition to my stable, live site, all on the same, cheap plan on FastComet provides huge benefits and flexibility for me. (I run the Ghost-O-Matic site and all of its subdomain sites on that hosting plan.)

2. Since I also have a VPS on FastComet (the Cloud 3 VPS plan), I have done many identical site comparisons, and I can say that the identical sites deployed on the Shared Hosting actually perform better on the Shared Hosting than they do on my VPS. This is because of the precise optimizations for Ghost sites that FastComet maintains on their shared hosting servers.

3. FastComet support tickets are consistently and quickly (usually within 5-10 mins.) answered and resolved. Digital Ocean provides no support whatsoever, except through their forums, and my experience was consistently no help at all, even through the forums.

4. Also of tremendous value to me is the option (rather than the requirement) to use command line any time I want. I love using the web-based file manager for most things.

5. Auto-SSL and Cloudflare, and domain functions being built into the button-click back-end interface is also a huge time and brain-damage saver for me.

6. Also, one-click email account creation, forwarding functions, and management all in one place is important to me because I have more than 700 domains.

7. There are so many other tools that I would not otherwise think to use (ones that I find, and then learn about by trying and testing them in the interface), all in one place accessible from the cPanel (and the WHM as well on the VPS).

Of course your needs and preferences are totally different from mine. I would suggest to try them both, simultaneously, for a month.

BTW, I also host and manage multiple Wordpress and Drupal sites for some of my clients on my FastComet Shared Hosting account, right along side my Ghost sites.

Oh one more bit of info – FastComet runs on the Linode infrastructure, if that helps at all.

1 Like