Say hi! Also tell us your thoughts on what would make this forum useful

Thanks very much for setting this up! I’m a big fan of the Discourse forums I’ve used for other open source projects. Forum posts make it much easier to follow along through troubleshooting steps, and having all the posts accessible through a Google search is a big plus. Looking forward to watching the future of Ghost unfold here!

3 Likes

Hi Ghost,

Greetings from Indonesia. :indonesia:
I am Ghost Theme Developer.

My thoughts for this forum:
Pinned something like ‘How to Install Ghost’ then inside post link to any source (install from DigitalOcean with Ubuntu, with Debian, other cloud, etc.)

and ‘Troubleshoot’ then inside post link to any problem and how to solved it.

Hey Malvouz, thanks for signing up! :slight_smile: What you’re asking for is documentation rather than forum features, which is here: https://docs.ghost.org/docs/install

I am going to setup a personal web page and i was planning to use ghost as a blogging platform. I installed it locally and begin to experiment with it, but i faced a few problems and had some questions. Naturally, i searched for these on google and i found some forum pages related to ghost.org but when i clicked them i saw that they were dead. This was disappointing. There were some information here and there, but there was no place for a layman to ask questions other than #slack and #slack cannot replace a good forum any day. Documentation provides very basic information and if you go a bit further and try to add a table of contents to your posts, you hit a wall. Setting up a forum is very nice for creating a reference for novice people like me.

2 Likes

Hi Ghost Team! This is an awesome idea! :+1: In my opinion, the forum is a much better solution for getting help and support for Ghost users than Slack. Also, I think it will help to grow Ghost community.

4 Likes

I just finished writing a blog post about best practices for the chat+forum combo, ignited by the buzz that Ghost’s recent move created :+1:

@John you can email me at erlend@discourse.org if you’d like to talk more about that Discourse Comments app for Ghost and anything else we might scheme up together.

6 Likes

Hi everybody :slight_smile:

Super happy to be part of the community :slight_smile:

i’m the CMO at comet (www.hellocomet.co) a french startup reinventing the way engineers work.

Fell in love with Ghost and I’m currently implementing it for comet.

See you around :)

2 Likes

so far the forum seems to be a smashing success :ok_hand:t2:. It seems like the quality of conversation has moved from a bombardment of technical support issues to conversations of highly engaged people (i’m not innocent here, there was that one time I pinged the slack channel because I typed /admin instead of /ghost).

One thing to be wary of (as the leadership at ghost knows) is this is typically the stage in an org where users make themselves heard with new feature requests (i’d say ‘for better or for worse’, but let’s be honest here).

The reason I love ghost is because it is everything that bloated design-by-commitee PHP monstrosities are not. There are some fine suggestions on this forum, but i’d Be happy if only ~1% of them were executed.

As Billy Joel said, I love you just the way you are.

1 Like

Self-hosted Ghost user since November 2014, and I’m very glad to see Ghost moving toward a real forum rather than the slack debacle. Having a publicly-visible forum that’s indexible by search engines is important for any product with a self-hosting option, and Discourse is an excellent choice.

Very many thanks to the ghost devs & admins for not forcing all discussion about Ghost to take place inside a black box. This is absolutely the right choice and makes me a lot more comfortable about continuing to use Ghost.

2 Likes

em…maybe i just as a new member here. haha…

Hello! Just joined the forum and I think this is a great idea.

Some questions/ideas:

• On the help topic. Is closing the post after 14 days of inactivity necessary? I’ve seen this working similarly as with Stackoverflow, where a post can be marked as solved but still people can comment on it. One other thing about this is that if perchance I find the problem on the 15th day and I’d like to comment, it would be impossible since it’s already closed, so questions like:

• “Did you manage to solve it?” “Or how did you solve it?” become impossible
  • What would happen to the questions on Stackoverflow under the ghost-blog tag? My first go to site will always be SO (and for millions of devs it is too). Do you think it would be better to redirect all questions about help there? Or managing them here is better? If so, why?

That would be all I wanted to comment on!

Cheers

1 Like