Updating Ghost From 2.x to 5.0

I want to update to Ghost 5.0

Unfortunately I’m a new user and maximum of 3 links is allowed. I’m making links Googlable

• What’s your URL?
    Staging: https://blog.hexs.io (Where I am having the problem at the moment)
    Production: Link: Blog Colonist

• What version of Ghost are you using?
    Ghost-CLI version: 1.11.0
    I think Ghost 2.x

• How was Ghost installed and configured?
    Was using the latest version in Digital Ocean marketplace: Ghost | DigitalOcean Marketplace 1-Click App

• What Node version, database, OS & browser are you using?
    NPM: 6.4.1
    Node: v10.13.0

• What errors or information do you see in the console?

I had some problems with updating this. It asked me to update node, then asked npm update, I messed around with those versions now I am stuck here:

ghost-mgr@ghost-staging:/var/www/ghost$ ghost help
/home/ghost-mgr/.nvm/versions/node/v10.13.0/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yargs-parser/build/index.cjs:1015
        throw Error(`yargs parser supports a minimum Node.js version of ${minNodeVersion}. Read our version support policy: Link: Github /yargs/yargs-parser#supported-nodejs-versions`);
        ^

Error: yargs parser supports a minimum Node.js version of 12. Read our version support policy: Link: Github /yargs/yargs-parser#supported-nodejs-versions
    at Object.<anonymous> (/home/ghost-mgr/.nvm/versions/node/v10.13.0/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yargs-parser/build/index.cjs:1015:15)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:688:30)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:699:10)
    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:598:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:537:12)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:529:3)
    at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:636:17)
    at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:20:18)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/home/ghost-mgr/.nvm/versions/node/v10.13.0/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yargs/build/index.cjs:1:59993)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:688:30)
  • What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?
    I’m honestly not sure.

====
I’m running these in the staging version at the moment. I ultimately want to be able to update ghost blog into a new version. Here are some links I’ve looked at:
Link: Ghost Reinstall
Link: Ghost CLI

setupmy.life/update-ghost/#:~:text=To%20update%20Ghost%20Manager%2C%20use,g%20ghost%2Dcli%40latest%20.&text=After%20the%20successful%20update%2C%20you,and%20you%20are%20all%20done

Alternatively I’m thinking of exporting everything and reimporting the whole blog. But it seems it doesn’t export the images. I could use a simpler solution like that if someone points me into the right direction about the images.
Link: Ghost the Importer

You don’t appear to have any content on the linked website. If this is the situation, it’ll be much easier to download the theme and images etc., and start over.

To upgrade, you need to go to the terminal release first, and install relevant dependencies including Node and MySQL. If the database is MariaDB, then reinstalling is going to be easier.

1 Like

I agree. Especially if you made a backup/export, consider installing everything new from scratch and re-importing the old content.

1 Like

Production: Link: Blog Colonist

Neat site - I love Settlers, so I’ll have to check it out when I’ve got some free time.

I couldn’t see which part of it was Ghost, but there must be a blog in there somewhere?

1 Like

Oh sorry, I’ve updated the link, here it is the link to our blog: https://blog.colonist.io/
New user restrictions are a bit annoying.

What about a blog with this amount of images and contents inside the link above?

What is the recommended solid way of downloading theme and images? Is there a command line approach of doing this?

The official guidance for upgrading Ghost V2 is reinstalling.

What OS and database are you using? Are there other dependencies on the DO droplet, e.g., other websites and services etc.?

Here’s the migration guide. Even if you’re staying with DO, migrate to a new instance, and preserve what’s working.

1 Like

MySQL server: 8.0.29

No dependencies.