Upgrade-Guide from Ghost3 to Ghost4?

I use currently dockerized ghost-3 with docker-compose and traefik. I want to upgrade to dockerized ghost-4.
Is there a upgrade-guide available or is it possible just to switch the docker-image?

As extension I use only slack-notification and email subscribe mechanism via mailgun.

Thomas

You basically pull the latest image and recreate your container.
Before you do this make sure you backup your content, theme, routes, …
Things might break, they also might not.
If you’re using a docker-compose file you could do this:

docker pull ghost
docker compose up -d

If you’re not using docker-compose you could do this:

docker pull ghost
docker stop ghost
docker rm ghost
docker <your docker run command>

After that depending on the theme you’re using you might get some errors and warnings, but it will tell you what to change when activating the theme.

1 Like

Tried it now but failed. Switched back to ghost 3.
Error message is:

Error: Cannot find module ‘/var/lib/ghost/current/index.js’
at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:815:15)
at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:667:27)
at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (internal/modules/run_main.js:60:12)
at internal/main/run_main_module.js:17:47 {
code: ‘MODULE_NOT_FOUND’,
requireStack:
}
internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:818
throw err;
^
Any idea? I use casper theme (3.0.11).

Okay, my fault. Works again so far…

Small problem: In the badget next to members I see “0” zero but in fact I have more members who are also displayed correctly in the list.

The problem with the members seem not so tiny. following situation:
After migration to ghost4 I see the members in the members list. BUT, when I publish a new blog I do not see a slider “Send by email”(Deliver psot to members) under “Publish” as in ghost3. May be this is the case because ghost assumes I have no members?
How can I “enable” my members? Obviously they are existent in ghots4 too.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks
Thomas

I had a similar problem, but got it fixed by importing my members. I did it manually as I only have 1 member which is a friend so far :stuck_out_tongue:

The incorrect member count display is a known issue. It’s already been fixed ready for the next release.

But should I see under “Publish” as in ghost3 an entry: “Send by email”
I do not see this menu entry in ghost4.

People should simply get an email when we wrote a new blog-entry.

Ah, okay. I had to re-enter the mail-gun-config-data. Now I see the entry.
So the migration did not handle the old entry well. You should improve it.

Another question: In ghost3 I added fancybox manually for clicking images. (I did the same in ghost4 now.) But comes ghost4 with a own solution now? This would be great.

If you’re using the officially supported stack and performing an in-place upgrade then it shouldn’t be removed. If for some reason you did a content export/import then API keys and any non-content data isn’t preserved (content export != backup), I’m not sure how the community Docker image handles upgrades in that regard.

Another question: In ghost3 I added fancybox manually for clicking images. (I did the same in ghost4 now.) But comes ghost4 with a own solution now? This would be great.

There’s nothing like that built in as the implementation is very site/use-case specific. You should continue to use fancybox or whichever other solution best fits your site’s needs.

Hey Kevin!

I am still having this bug that displays an incorrect member count on the dashboard. I am running Ghost 4.2.2 but the update did not change anything. :thinking: