Hiding content from non-members

I was playing around with making pages members only. However, I can’t find an area to put a message to say this content is for members only. Instead people just see the content removed, so when you visit the page following the link, you only see the footer without any message. If I didn’t know better I wouldn’t know the content was blocked out. I would have assumed the page is either supposed to be like this or its broken.

I just want a simple message to say the content on this page is accessible to members only.

I understand this would need to be customised, by editing your theme files and using the access variable. Would this be a big job or an expensive job if I were to get someone to do it?

Lastly, I assume its not yet possible to block a section of content on a page, right?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @RyanUK. You’re right that you just need to edit your theme files using things like the access tag.

It’s not possible to block sections of the page content from non-members. Access is on a page/post level.

DM me if you’d like me to take a look at your theme.

3 Likes

Thanks Dan. I must be having a stupid day, I can’t figure out how to DM you on this forum :slight_smile:
Connect with me if you can, if not let me know how? Thanks

Hi @RyanUK,

you can work with the {{#if access}} helper .

{{#if access}}
show content
{{else}}
show message, that content is not accessible
{{/if}}
2 Likes

Lots of info here on how to customise your theme depending on members content:
https://ghost.org/docs/members/content-visibility/

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I need to start investing the time to learn.

1 Like

Is there any plan to add this feature anytime soon?

Thank you, Dan.

I would also like this feature.

As non-members don’t know what they are missing out on.
If you give them a snippet and then say 80% of this post is hidden they will be more inclined to sign up.

I’m trying to hide the newsletter for stop showing to already subscribed (logged) users.

What’s the current workaround? Tried a lot of handlebars without success.

This is a very old thread and a lot has changed. You need something like {{#unless @member}} wrapped around your newsletter sign up.

1 Like

Wow, I tried it before and it didn’t work probably because some fault by my side.

It’s OK now! Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

1 Like