How to disable rss for the default tag and author taxonomies?

Hello!
I had disabled rss from the default root (/) collection, but it didn’t disable rss for the tag taxonomy (and, probably, for the author taxonomy).

How would you recommend disabling rss for the default tag and author taxonomies?
Simply putting rss: false under the tag taxonomy leads to an error (see the screen):

P.S. I checked docs but haven’t found a solution.

If you don’t come up with a way to directly disable them, you might create a custom redirect that overrides them. something like this?

301:
  ^\/tag\/([a-z0-9-]+)\/rss\/: /error

That’ll cause Ghost to 404 for any /tag/(slug)/rss/ request. (Unless you actually have a page at /error.) You could also send the user somewhere more useful, like a page explaining that you don’t do RSS feeds…

1 Like

Thank you!
I did a quick search and found that redirecting users to a non-existing page might not be good for SEO. So I decided to use the following rule in my redirects.yaml:

301:
  ^\/tag\/([a-z0-9-]+)\/rss\/$: /tag/$1/

It will redirect

from your-ghost.site/tag/faq/rss/
to your-ghost.site/tag/faq/

from your-ghost.site/tag/billing-and-charges/rss/
to your-ghost.site/tag/billing-and-charges/ and so on.

P.S. Some people say redirecting to a home page is considered a soft 404.

(Bonus) If someone is interested in an alternative way of disabling rss for the tag taxonomy.

We’ll use a custom template that displays an error message whenever a visitor goes to your-ghost.site/tag/(slug)/rss/

Step 1. Add the following rule to your routes.yaml

routes:
  /tag/:slug/rss/:
    template: error-for-rss
    content_type: text/xml

Step 2. Create that template (error-for-rss.hbs) inside your theme directory and put the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rss>
    We don't provide RSS feeds at the moment.
</rss>

Step 3. Save and re-upload routes.yaml and theme to your Ghost installation.

Done.