Issues with indented ordered lists

I’m having some issues with ordered lists, particularly indented ones which I use extensively. See the detailed explanation below where I post the raw markdown and the results I’m getting. I’m in the researching phase to decide which platform to use for my blog so I only have a local lab set up at the moment with the default Casper theme.

Because of the limitation quoted below this post will have to be split up in multiple posts. I hope I don’t get flagged as spam…

Sorry, new users can only put one embedded media item in a post.

Native Ghost RTF editor

Indented ordered (not possible?)

I can’t find any way of indenting the points in the list.

Markdown

Indented ordered (automatic numbering)

Here I just press enter for new row and tab for indentation.

1. Test
    2. Test
    3. Test
        4. Test
    5. Test
6. Test

bild

Indented ordered (manual logical numbering)

Here I press enter for new row, tab for indentation and then manually change all numbering to see the numbers as they’re presented in the rendered post.

1. Test
    1. Test
    2. Test
        1. Test
    3. Test
2. Test

bild

Indented ordered (manual/auto numbering)

Here I press enter for new row, tab for indentation and then manually change all numbering to 1. so I don’t have to manually update the numbers if changes are made to the list.

1. Test
    1. Test
    1. Test
        1. Test
    1. Test
1. Test

bild

Aside from the different parsing of the lists, the spacing is also incosistent. In the first example the spacing looks consistent and is presented well (but the indentation is all wrong).

bild

In the other examples the spacing is all over the place which makes it look disjointed so the list looks like several lists jumbled together (which I guess is what is happening in the background).

bild

In all of the indented markdown examples above, the WYSIWYG editor doesn’t detect the indented points as part of a list. When I’m at the first or last point in those lists it looks like this (kind of hard to see the difference because of the dark theme):

bild

When I’m at one of the indented points it doesn’t detect those as as part of a list:

bild

The editor stops detecting the text as a list as soon as there are three or more spaces before the number, and a tab becomes four spaces so that explains that part.

This WYSIWYG editor highlighting issue is a minor one as long as the rendered post is presented correctly and as long as I can clearly see what is a list and what isn’t while editing.

The formatting/parsing/spacing issue on the other hand would be great if it could be improved somehow. Can this be fixed by themes or code injection or something else or does it need be fixed in the core?

What I would like is to be able to just press enter for a new row and tab for indentation without having to worry about the numbering at all, but that doesn’t work as you can see from the first indented markdown example above. Even better would be if it automatically displayed the indented points as as 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2 and so on, but outside of Microsoft Word I haven’t really found any other tools that does that.

Well this certainly didn’t get much attention, I suppose I’ve found an edge case. Do someone in the staff have any input on this @Kevin @minimaluminium?

I might add that the rendered post in this forum does a better job at presenting the examples above than Ghost does, in the way that it doesn’t have different spacing between the points (on the other hand the forum editor isn’t as nice to work with as it doesn’t automatically add another point in the list when you press enter, and you can’t use tab to indent).

1. Test
    2. Test
    3. Test
        4. Test
    5. Test
6. Test
  1. Test
    2. Test
    3. Test
    4. Test
    5. Test
  2. Test
1. Test
    1. Test
    2. Test
        1. Test
    3. Test
2. Test
  1. Test
    1. Test
    2. Test
      1. Test
    3. Test
  2. Test
1. Test
    1. Test
    1. Test
        1. Test
    1. Test
1. Test
  1. Test
    1. Test
    2. Test
      1. Test
    3. Test
  2. Test

I don’t know if this is supposed to be a question since it’s just at quote from the second part of my post. But as I mentioned in that paragraph there’s no way way to indent lists in the “native Ghost RTF editor”. You have to add a markdown section/card and write the list in that section, but then you’ll run into the issues I’ve explained in detail above.