Npm start error when installing Ghost locally for theme development

Hello,

I’ve never written in a forum before so this might be misplaced.

I am trying to run Ghost locally so I can develop a custom theme for my site. After having rolled by my version of Node.js to v6.14.3 (but upgrading npm to the current version), I still get the following error message after running $ npm start per the instruction here.

I’ve pasted the resulting errors below. I should also state that I’m using the most recent v. of Ghost, Terminal on a Mac running High Sierra, and I did previously have a version of Node.js that was unsupported (since uninstalled).

npm ERR! Darwin 17.6.0
npm ERR! argv “/usr/local/bin/node” “/usr/local/bin/npm” “start”
npm ERR! node v6.14.3
npm ERR! npm v3.10.10
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! ghost@0.11.12 start: node index
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the ghost@0.11.12 start script ‘node index’.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the ghost package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR! node index
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
npm ERR! npm bugs ghost
npm ERR! Or if that isn’t available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR! npm owner ls ghost
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

Have you installed node.js on your mac?

Hey G,

I think there’s probably more output above the error log output?

I get a similar issue when it’s failed to install a node module correctly (or not installed the required node modules at all).

How are you using node / npm, I can highly recommend using the Node Version Manager (nvm). See: http://dev.topheman.com/install-nvm-with-homebrew-to-use-multiple-versions-of-node-and-iojs-easily/ for a quick guide to installing it. You can then install and use different versions of node without needing to uninstall / re-install.

For me npm start threw a very similar error when I had not run npm install first.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.