Problem configuring Redirect

I am trying to setup a redirect.

I downloaded the redirect.json. It took me a while to figure out that the documentation was for a redirect.yaml and not the default .json file.

Now that I got that figured out I created a .yaml file with a single redirect

301:
/blog/privacy: /blog/privacypolicy

and it does not work.

Hey max1e6! Welcome to Ghost!

.yaml is really fussy about spacing. Do you have the two spaces before /blog… ? In the future, if you use the </> button in the editor menu, your code and markup will show up in more readable form. :)

Did you upload the yaml file with a .yaml extension? (Not .json.) I’m not sure if Ghost cares, but it might.

And could you say what you mean by ‘does not work’? Endless redirect loop, or no redirect at all?

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I did use the .yaml extension.

Yes, Ghost does care. If you use a .json extension I appears to parse it like a .json file same same for .yaml.

I did double check for two spaces before /blog.

Does not work…no redirect at all.

Let me check one more thing.

You uploaded the redirects.yaml to Ghost using Settings > Labs, right? You didn’t just put it into the theme or try to find a copy in the actual Ghost install and edit it, right?

If you haven’t already done so, restarting Ghost (if self-hosted) is worth trying.

(Sorry for asking silly questions, but I get lucky and identify the problem with the silly question often enough that I keep doing it.)

Yep. Uploaded in Labs->Redirects.

There is no such thing as a silly question.

2 Likes

Just restarted. Still does not redirect. 404.

I even upgrade ghost to the latest version (just now). Still 404.

Are you able to share your site where this is happening? It might help to diagnose. I tested this redirect on my own site and it worked for me, so I think something else might be going on.

www.williammax.com/blog/privacy

Thanks Ryan.

I think I might know what is going on and I have not figured out a solution.

I am self hosting ghost on docker using Traefik as a reverse proxy.

The site is IT Trends & DevOps by William Max & Co., but the docker container thinks it is https://www.williammax.com.

I am using Traefiks “strippprefix” to strip the /blog from the URL before sending to the docker container.

According to one article I found on the Internets…the stripprefix occurs before the redirect. I tried modifying the redirect to /privacy → /privacypolicy, but this did not work either.