Remove installed (unused) themes

Good afternoon,

I’ve installed a couple themes and finally decided to stick with one. However, I would like to remove the other ones. How can I achieve this? Thank you. Best regards.

Settings > Design > Change theme > Advanced dropdown (at the top)

That will show you a list of all installed themes and let you switch between them or download/delete them.

1 Like

Cheers @Kevin! Thanks a lot.

I’m no longer seeing an option to ‘delete’ an installed theme. I can only ‘Download’ when I click on the vertical ellipsis menu. Also I don’t see an ‘Advanced’ dropdown

The settings area has been through a redesign in the year since that was posted. You’ll now find the themes list in Settings > Design & Branding > Change Theme > Installed. Note that both Casper and Source can’t be uninstalled.

1 Like

Thanks! It also seems to be the case that if I update a theme any extra files I added to my local theme remain. That’s not really a bad behavior, but it was unexpected. I guess it updated those files that are part of the theme and leaves the rest alone.

I’m not really following this. If you have files in your theme folder that you zip up before uploading then those files will exist on the server after uploading too, or is that not what you mean?

I think I worded that badly. What I mean is that if I create an update to a theme, and the updated theme no longer has a file in it, after the update the file that used to be part of the theme seems to still be there. The upshot is that if I’m using a separate installation of ghost for testing I can end up putting that ghost server into a state where it is out of sync with the production website. The test site could have assets that aren’t in the zipped theme.