Search for Ghost

Hi, sorry if I answer you just now, I wanted to send you updated links to the algolia code, unfortunately I can’t.
I was also flagged by the community without an apparent reason

Hi, I quickly integrated ElasticSearch with Ghost to provide an enhanced search service on my blog without modifying any line of code in Ghost.

Bellow how I did :

Sorry, the post is in french ;-)

6 Likes

How is Ghost coming along with this? It is still a frustration, not having this as a basic feature in Ghost without needing to do too much development to add a custom search. The built-in search in the admin console which searches posts works marvelous. Just move that to the public side of the platform? (I know, it is probably harder than what I believe it to be :slight_smile: )

I have tried that ghost-search plugin you mention, but i had to switch to ghosthunter. Even when i had an issue with it the ghost-search, the creator/mantainer answer was: Switch to ghost hunter.

Is it not possible to just use the ContentAPI and filter results by whatever the search term is??

I think that’s what GhostHunter actually does

Seems a little bit a faster answer.
Yes GhostHunter can be one solution to search content in Ghost using APIv2.

But No it isn’t a built-in search solution (because use an external product) and seems a little bit fat with > 100KB, using client browser side and not compatible with all double bit characters (like Japanese, Chinese etc).

I think it’s for that many Ghost’s users ask about a real built-in search engine into Ghost himself, and seems waiting a long because flag in this post has been changed to “planned” for a while.

The JavaScript in the library can be added to the Ghost theme itself, no external product needed. The library also uses lunr.js which appears to have good language support Language Support : Lunr

1 Like

Thank you for your additional information and yes you are right David on the substance everything is possible.

Nevertheless GhostHunter is a third party solution, even if it integrates with Ghost via APIv2 (with a dirtyfix…).
It has not been and is not developed by the Ghost Team and does not integrate the core standard.

For multi-language, this is still quite limited and especially requires adding about 15 to 20KB of additional code per language.

This kind of solution quickly becomes gargantuan.

What we thought when the tag went to “planned” is that when Ghost updated it would integrate its own search function, hence the term build-in.

And if I understand your answers correctly, it no longer seems on the agenda, yet many users want to see this basic integrated function.

But I understood with a time, some task become more important and some other less.
Anyway, thank you for your reply and your time to answer too and waiting about new updates and new functions in Ghost.

1 Like

How is the Search function not a priority? The whole point of a blog is literally searching for relevant information, lol.
I guess the non-technical bloggers like me are screwed, since I don’t understand how to integrate the solutions above, well, good for me.

I have the same concern… I would use the default blog if there was a search built into it.

I ended up using this theme which has search built in and they show you how to get search working in an easy manner.

1 Like

Hi, ravingDIODE, I already installed another theme, but I will check the tutorial to see if I can implement the search functionality on my own too, thank you for sharing.

1 Like

So after the new Ghost 3.0, the theme I was using does not work correctly I don’t know how to fix it.

So now I am back to the default casper theme and I was really hoping that search would have been included into the new casper theme with ghost 3.0.

Is there any ETA on when we can expect the search functionality to be added?

Oh, right! I have to update to 3.0!

Someone helped me with the whole installation process but since he’s gone, I’ll have to do it myself. Is it really necessary though? Since I was expecting the search functionality embedded onto this version and it’s not, I’m not sure I even need to do the update, or do I?

Also, are they even trying to implement this function or… lol

As you can see in the topic subtitle, this function is “planned” not yet “in-progress

I also look forward to it, in the meantime I suggest Algolia, at the moment it is the best, everything you imagine you want to do, with algolia you can do it. He has a free plan.

1 Like

Yes please! Do a search box for Casper same good as internal search box :pray:
That’s the best solution!

+1 for this.
I built my blog written in japanese and found that the search didn’t work.
I hope ghosthunter search will be available in any languages!

Hello :smile:

@hiyukoim - Use the search that I use for my free themes for ghost. It is a search engine that supports almost all languages.

The demo you can see in my blog

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion :smiley:
Is it Ghost search?

I added it to my site and tried, but it still not working with Japanese characters (and probably some other Unicode characters).
Probably that’s related to how we type our characters.
We type pronunciation with the roman characters first and then convert them to Unicode characters. Maybe the search has to be able to handle those characters.