Unable to upgrade ghost 4.2

• What version of Ghost are you using? 3.4.2
  • What configuration? ghost+heroku+github (SNathJr/ghost-on-heroku - Buttons - Heroku Elements)
  • What browser? chrome/firefox
  • What errors or information do you see in the console? (see below)
  • What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having? (see below)

Details

I have followed the following to work on the Ghost Blog, Github+Herok+Ghost > One click install, it installed the V3 ghost on the server. however i am unable to upgrade to latest version of ghost i.e. version 4.2.0

please can you guide me what i am missing.

Steps i have done so far as follows

a) Installation >Github link
b) Local Copy >> saved on c drive >> C:\ghost-on-heroku screenshot below

local copy

i have run the following commands so far, and getting this error.

CMD

C:>heroku login C:>cd ghost-on-heroku

C:\ghost-on-heroku>heroku git:clone -a project name Cloning into ‘project name’… remote: Counting objects: 1727, done. remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1091/1091), done. remote: Total 1727 (delta 554), reused 1717 (delta 547) eceiving objects: 89% (1538/1727), 11. Receiving objects: 100% (1727/1727), 11.59 MiB | 3.62 MiB/s, done. Resolving deltas: 100% (554/554), done.

C:\ghost-on-heroku>cd projectname

C:\ghost-on-heroku\projectname>npm outdated
Package Current Wanted Latest Location Depended by
ghost MISSING 3.42.4 4.2.0 - projectname
ghost-storage-adapter-s3 MISSING 2.8.0 2.8.0 - projectname
ghost-storage-cloudinary MISSING 2.1.5 2.1.5 - projectname
ghost-webdav-storage-adapter MISSING 0.3.5 0.4.1 - projectname
mysql MISSING 2.18.1 2.18.1 - projectname

C:\ghost-on-heroku\projectname>ghost -v Ghost-CLI version: 1.16.3

C:\ghost-on-heroku\projectname>npm -v 7.8.0

C:\ghost-on-heroku\projectname>node -v v10.24.1

C:\ghost-on-heroku\projectname>npm upgrade ghost

added 1328 packages, and audited 1763 packages in 48s

1 package is looking for funding run npm fund for details

20 vulnerabilities (5 low, 3 moderate, 12 high)

To address issues that do not require attention, run: npm audit fix

To address all issues (including breaking changes), run: npm audit fix --force

Run npm audit for details.

C:\ghost-on-heroku\projectname>npm audit fix --force npm WARN using --force Recommended protections disabled. npm WARN audit Updating ghost to 0.11.14,which is a SemVer major change. npm WARN audit Updating ghost-webdav-storage-adapter to 0.4.1,which is a SemVer major change. npm WARN deprecated webdav@3.6.2: WebDAV 3.x is deprecated: Please upgrade to v4. npm ERR! code 231 npm ERR! path C:\ghost-on-heroku\projectname\node_modules\ghost npm ERR! command failed npm ERR! command C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /d /s /c node core/server/utils/npm/preinstall.js npm ERR! ERROR: Unsupported version of Node npm ERR! Ghost supports LTS Node versions: ^6.9.0 npm ERR! You are currently using version: 10.24.1 npm ERR! This check can be overridden, see https://docs.ghost.org/v0.11/docs/supported-node-versions for more info

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in: npm ERR! C:\Users\s\AppData\Local\npm-cache_logs\2021-04-08T11_-debug.log

C:\ghost-on-heroku\projectname>

please help me what i would need to get the blog updated to ghost 4.2.0 (i have tried with installing multiple nodejs version, i.e. version 12, version 14 etc, but may be i am doing something wrong)

1 Like

Anyone please can you guide if you know the solution?

Hey @standard
You can deploy the new Ghost V4 on Heroku using this repo.

If you need any help ask in Github Discussions or leave your question here.

@CODEBULBS - Many Thanks, it worked and great job. However i am getting this error after ghost 4.2.2 is installed on uploading this theme. (i downloaded this latest theme from ghost marketplace)

I will try to re-install the theme or any other theme and see if this error is gone.

unrelated question, how can i ensure that heroku dyno does not sleep on base tier. any link/reading material for the same.

If you like this please star and fork the repo.on GitHub.

1 Like

You cannot make changes permanent after uploading theme on Ghost. After Heroku dyno restarts it undo all the changes.
If you want help on this then post your question here.

Thanks for sharing! How do we ensure that the deployed Heroku app stays up to date as future updates are made to the core Ghost CMS application? I didn’t see anything related to this in the README.