Where and how can I install ghost on Google Cloud Platform?

So I wanna install the newest version (stable, for production) of ghost on Google Cloud Platform but I have a few questions.

1. What service should I use in cloud platform (which one has better performance)? Compute Engine? App Engine?

2. Is there a complete guild for how to install it on cloud platform? I know how to install on VM (compute engine) but it seems like app engine is more better on hosting ghost, is it?

A quick search on Google brought this up (maybe it helps):

Otherwise, you can probably just spin up a compute engine with Ubuntu 16.04 and do a standard VM install.

Then will app engine preform better than compute engine? Or is there any benefit for use one instead of another?

From here:

Basic difference is that Google App Engine (GAE) is a Platform as a Service (PaaS) whereas Google Compute Engine (GCE) is an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). To run your application in GAE you just need to write your code and deploy it into GAE, no other headache.

Of course, you also have Google’s own docs on this:

You should make better friends with Google, my friend. :slight_smile:

you might want to try google kubernetes engine…

You don’t need to do this manually. Use bitnami. That’s simple and works perfectly.

https://docs.bitnami.com/google/apps/ghost/

by the way…
if we use bitnami…
does the ghost app being auto update? or we need to manually update?

We have to update manually. You just have to login via SSH and run ghost update command in the htdocs dir.

In my perspective, auto update is a bit risky for a production publish. :slight_smile:

https://docs.bitnami.com/google/apps/ghost/#how-to-upgrade-ghost

In my perspective, auto update is a bit risky for a production publish. :slight_smile:

oh i see, but this auto update things would help if we manage lots of blog right? (even it sound dangerous)

by the way,
is there any ways to update a bundle of ghost blog with just one command? or we need to do this manually one by one?

If all the blogs are hosted in a single server, you’ll be able to write a script for that. But if they are on different servers, I don’t know if it’s possible to update with a single command.

You should be able to do that with ansible, for example:

is this to automate the ghost uipdate or to update many ghost app?

so there is advantage if it is on single server…
interesting…
by the way i thought ghost only can be one per server…
so how much is the limit?
so far i read on blogs they did up to two ghost app…doesn’t found more than that…

With ansible you can manage multiple types of servers and of applications.

You can run as many Ghost instances as you want on your server (depending on the available resources). I currently run 5 Ghost instances and about 10+ WordPress sites (and a few other technologies) on the same t2.micro EC2 server on AWS.

After hanging around with Google Cloud Marketplace I found out this package which said one click to deploy Ghost on Compute Engine, but just wondered is it officially packed by Ghost, or packed by Google or packed by contributors?

i believe it said that it is

for me, i would prefer bitnami

…but it is up to you…i think both can…why not?

this thing is paid right?
or is there any open source self hosted option?
as far as i can see…paid

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.