Adding a mailto link in nav

Hi,

I want to add a mailto link in the nav bar so when someone hits Contact it goes to their email client.

Should I just edit the theme in the same way someone else was told to add instagram link?

Yeah! :relaxed:

1 Like

Great!

It’s also possible to add mailto links in the main navigation bar via the Design settings if your display requirements are that simple.

4 Likes

@Kevin, do you use any obfuscation when rendering the email address? Here is an article explaining why you should.

@bonyboy no, I stopped attempting to obfuscate my email many years ago (and I have had no spam issues when using gmail) - it’s readily available on public sites so the only thing obfuscation would do is make it more difficult for real humans to use, especially if they are using assistive devices.

There’s an interesting article here on the efficacy of email obfuscation The Effectiveness of Email Obfuscation – Email is good.. Of course you’re free to make up your own mind as to whether it’s useful to you or not :)

If you do want to obfuscate then you’ll likely need to do this in your template files instead of the nav editor - it’s not designed for that and is unlikely to get obfuscation features because the obfuscation used would be very context dependent and difficult/impossible to implement in a way that would please everybody (whereas everyone can implement their own preferred method via the theme files or when using a static site generator).