Adding Events to Ghost?

(The original of this post lives over on my Ghost blog, at Can we add events to Ghost?

I have a (badly in need of update) site over on Blogger. Mostly, I use it to aggregate upcoming STEM (and more specifically robotics) events that are geared towards kids or at least family-friendly, along with some blog posts. I actually store the events over in a public Google Calendar, and then some client-side JavaScript grabs them and inserts them on the Blogger page. It works pretty well on the user side. Events are a smidge slower to load than the rest of the page but itā€™s not so slow that it detracts from the user experience. On the user side, itā€™s fine. Thereā€™s a custom block on the front page that renders those events, and I pull data out of Google calendar to render events individually (matching the theming on the site) when users click them. [Itā€™s likely terrible for SEO, but thatā€™s a separate issue.]

I can do the same thing with a Ghost theme, or even with code injection. The script that pulls calendar events just needs an API key and the link to the public calendar. But the problem with this approach is that it doesnā€™t take advantage of the Ghost WYSIWYG editor (which is far nicer than the Blogger calendar event editor), events wonā€™t be searchable (because Ghost itself knows nothing about them), storing images for events is another layer of complexity, and so on. And maybe we do care about SEO for those faked-up event postings that a Google crawler wonā€™t see.

Soā€¦ I thought Iā€™d get clever and create a tighter linkage. I still wanted to use Google Calendar, to deal with Ghost not having custom data storage and because letting Google deal with some of the complexity seemed like a good idea.

Here was my idea going out the gate:

Post/Event creation:

• Make a custom page on the ghost site that creates a stub-ish post with the event name, a custom_excerpt, a callout like block of text with time, location, and other calendar-type data, and some custom tags.
  • Make a Google Calendar event with the same id as the Ghost post using all the same data. Set the description to the the custom_excerpt plus the link back to the Ghost post.
  • After both creations are complete, redirect the user to the actual WYSIWYG editor for the new post, so they can add images, rich text, etc.

Post/Event viewing:

• Users can view event posts on Ghost just like any other post. Events are tagged, so itā€™s easy to make an ā€œupcoming eventsā€ stream, sort of like the ā€œrelated postsā€ partial.
  • Posts start out with the original calendar information, but some JavaScript runs on the page to update the calendar bit, if desired. (For example, one could pull in the number of people registered, or anything else exposed by the API.) Everything else is a normal post = good for SEO.

Worth thinking about: Is there a page for updating the Ghost post if the Google Calendar event changes? Or does some JavaScript on the client side pull that information when someone visits the Ghost post page?

I pretty much got everything to proof-of-principle yesterday. Hereā€™s a short summary of what I think of this approach, at this point:

Experience for Site Visitors

• Everything can look great and loads at normal Ghost speeds. If thereā€™s JavaScript to grab the latest calendar information, it should be minimal enough not to slow things down.

:+1:The site visitor experience is great! (Web crawlers will probably like it, too!)

Experience for ā€œEvent Editorsā€

• Event editors visit a custom page on the Ghost site and enter basic information about the event. Then they hit submit, which triggers calendar event creation and blog post creation.
  • A standard OAuth pop-up asks event editors to choose a Google Account to use and then to grant the site permission. (I think the permissions request only happens once.) Unfortunately, ā€œevent editorsā€ need to give the Ghost site permission to edit all their calendars. [Thereā€™s no scope provided for editing just the one public calendar.]
  • Event editors are redirected to the Ghost Admin WYSIWYG editor to finish their event post.

:confused: The process is fine, except for having to give calendar permissions. Perhaps the event editor chooses to make a separate Google account just to manage this event calendar, which resolves concerns about having to give the site permissions to EVERY calendar.

Needing to remember the URL for the event creator is a little clunky, since it isnā€™t linked from the Ghost Admin pages.

Set-up Experience

• Create a Google Calendar and make it public. (~2 min)
  • Give any other Google accounts that will edit it permissions (through the sharing feature). (~2 min)
  • Grab the Calendar ID, copy it over to Ghost. (~2 min)
  • Work through Googleā€™s API portal to create a project, get an API key (copy over to Ghost). Give the project Calendar access. Also validate the domain with Google (if not already done - may require DNS access). Link the site privacy policy. Create a YouTube video showing how the app uses the Calendar API if you donā€™t want the OAuth popup to say your app is in testing mode and requiring an extra click, and submit it for Google review. (~10 min - multiple hours)

:anguished:The only good news is that you only have to do this once. With detailed directions, it might be doable in under an hour. And could one common ā€œthis is how this package worksā€ video allow multiple different sites to get their projects approved? Maybe.

So now what?

Would you work through the setup headache for this sort of package? Or would it make more sense to just create and aggregate events from the Google Calendar, without trying to integrate with posts?

Did you ever mock this up? Curious to see what it would like to an end user.
-Jack

The site owner or the site visitor/subscriber?

Iā€™m thinking creating items in Google calendar and then getting them into ghost with Zapier is probably best. I donā€™t have a full working version ā€” it wasnā€™t clear if there was a need for it beyond my own migration, and I havenā€™t finished it.

So maybe the flow is:
Go to Google Calendar, create an item on your public calendar.
(Zapier sees the new calendar item and pushes it over to Ghost as a new post item)
User goes to Ghost and adds customization to the new post item - new photos, more details in the nicer editor, etc.

Unresolved:
If the Calendar event changes, what happens? Can trigger the Zap on new or changed calendar event, but thereā€™s no way to edit a post exposed in Zapier. Time to go test what happens if you call ā€˜createā€™ a post but with an existing slug, I thinkā€¦

So, yeah. If the calendar event is updated, the Zap can be triggered, but when Ghost gets another POST with the same slug as originally, it tacks a -2 on the end and makes an all new post item. Thereā€™s no Zap for editing a post, so calendar edits would not be possible after creation. Less than useful. :frowning:

I guess thatā€™s a feature request for Zapier?

3 Likes

I use Ghost to manage a monthly potluck group, so most of the posts are event announcements. It would be great if creating an entry in a calendar with an .ics feed and creating a Ghost event announcement were a single task.

What is described here sounds pretty good. I could accept if the ā€œupdateā€ case is not automated, because over 90% of the time, the event is not updated.

1 Like

Blast from the past post! :slight_smile:

If your calendar app will emit a webhook, it should be pretty doable. :slight_smile: Iā€™d say to stand up a cloud function somewhere that caught the hook and made the Ghost post. And in fact, if you avoid zapier and just make the post directly, then you could deal with webhooks for updates, too.

1 Like

Let me brainstorm about a different direction.

I have all my event announcements queued as scheduled posts. All the posts are scheduled to be exactly 2 weeks before the event. So an app could call the Ghost Admin API, and find all the scheduled posts with a particular label and figure out the calendar.

Thatā€™s a little fragile because some posts will go late and not be exactly who weeks before the event:

I could also add one more labels to event announcement posts-- some scheduled and some already live-- and something could parse the posts, look for the labels and build the event calendar that way.

I guess my primary idea here is to ask: what if we turned the integration around and added some structured data to Ghost posts, and something parsed those into a calendar feed?

For example, use the ā€œduplicate postā€ feature to create a ā€œtemplate eventā€ feature. It would like a form to fill out and would contain all the details need to parse the post into a usable event.

Thatā€™d be really attractive because you wouldnā€™t have to leave Ghost.

Making a post will emit a webhook, so you catch that hook and check to see if it has a ā€˜#pending-eventā€™ tag. If it does, you shove it over to the calendar and do whatever you need to do to make it look good in Ghost and then tag it as a ā€˜Public Eventā€™.

Iā€™d maybe look at a product card as a potential template?

That has the advantage of keeping things together a little bit, making it harder to mess up the fields. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or maybe the blog post is the event name, and the ā€˜product titleā€™ is the date. Then youā€™ve got no ā€˜freeformā€™ fields that you really have to parse.

1 Like