Apple News integration and API

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone has designed an Apple News integration for their Ghost site?

From my understanding and pushing content into Apple News, Publisher supports two content formats, Apple News Format and RSS.

API is suggested for large content providers like traditional newspapers etc.

I was successful with just using RSS.

RSS isn’t supported anymore on Apple News. Ghost isn’t listed as a supported CMS so there’s only the option of using an Apple-approved news provider like Flatplan.io. Publishing from Ghost directly to Apple News, similar to how Squarespace works would be ideal.

1 Like

Is this still impossible? FlatPlan don’t even include prices on their site :(

It would be possible to use a cloud function somewhere to respond to new posts in Ghost by creating the required apple news object (it’s a json) and posting it over to Apple. But it’s not built into Ghost, no.

1 Like

Flatplan costs $450 a month. Insane pricing.

I recently got a message from Apple that my application to get my channel back up and running on Apple News is being reviewed. While i’m waiting for that, I looked at ways of getting my articles published there.

The only way that I can see that will work without spending huge amounts of money or having to move from Ghost to Wordpress or Squarespace is to write articles using the JSON format Apple News requires.

I was hoping to find a tool that will convert an exisiting article into a JSON format that Apple News will accept but so far, it seems like i’ll have to do it the hard way.

$450 a month?? Wow. Seems like it’d be more economical to pay a developer to build the cloud function glue - it’s not a big ask.

Squarespace has support for Apple News Publisher built-in and Wordpress has support via plugin.

Apple News accepts articles uploaded in a JSON format that doesn’t seem very different from Ghost currently uses. I know very little about this but I’m sure there are people out there that can create a tool to convert a Ghost article into an Apple News JSON article.