Assigning a rating to (most, but not all) posts

Hi folks. I’m (in the process of) setting up a new travel / adventure blog on Ghost. Most posts (but not all) will be reviews of hotels, airlines, airport lounges, city destinations and such. I want to have the option to assign a fun rating to each, and for that rating to be displayed on the homepage excerpt. Additionally, it would be great to be able to be able to create slugs (like categories) to show all the posts with 5.0 ratings or 4.5 ratings, etc.

I am using a slightly modified build of the Capser theme. Here’s what the homepage looks like now:
https://gentadventurer.com/

Ideally, I want to be able to display an image of 1-5 stars (champagne bottles) corresponding to the rating for each post, kind of like this (just thrown together in photoshop quickly).

As I understand, I can’t add an extra field to each post to choose to assign a specific rating to it. Again, this would be my own rating that I assign, NOT that readers assign…

Any other thoughts on how I can achieve the same result?

For example, since I cannot create a new field for each post, is there a way to put code into the excerpt field like this:
Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 11.10.48 PM

You could use a tag like one-star two-star etc… and then in your theme can show different icons/data based on the tags using the #has helper - it might get a little messy but I’m sure can be cleaned up by using partials or maybe even using the tags in the class of the parent element

5 Likes

I like this technique, especially in that it would automatically create pages tagged with 5 star reviews. Like a “Most highly rated” page :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, @egg and @DavidDarnes. That should do the trick! I will check out the documentation on the #has helper and report back if I hit any snags.

2 Likes