AWS SES Setup Correctly - Email Working but can't invite staff

hello,

I setup AWS in the config according to the tutorial.

"mail": {
    "from": "'Primates' <stan@primates.dev>",
    "transport": "SMTP",
    "options": {
      "host": "email-smtp.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com",
      "port": 465,
      "service": "SES",
      "auth": {
        "user": "XxXXXXXX",
        "pass": "XXXXXX"
      }
    }
  },

The Test email configuration in lab works
But when I want to invite new staff it gives me:
Error sending email! Error sending email: Failed to send email. Reason: Message delivery failed: 554 Message rejected: Email address is not verified. The following identities failed the check in region EU-WEST-1: test@test.com. Please check your email settings and resend the invitation.

It looks like it tries to use test@test.com as from.

1 Like

Hey @StanGirard, the error above makes us think that you’ve not completed your Amazon SES setup. Would you be able to check?

1 Like

Hello,

The setup was finished and working with nodemailer. The issue seems like it is trying to send as the recipient.

1 Like

:wave:t3: To receive an email through Amazon SES, the email address must be verified. Creating and verifying identities in Amazon SES - Amazon Simple Email Service

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.

As mentioned above the email address was verified in the AWS SES.
To explain further. I tried to send an email to test@test.com but the error looks like the email tried to be sent from test@test.com and not my email address.

Here is a screenshot so I don’t have this answer again :rofl:

Also as mentioned above. The test email worked.

1 Like

I’m experiencing exactly the same error. Ghost is trying to use the emails to address as it’s from address when using Amazon SES as the service provider.

1 Like

I just ran across this. And one thing that I did during testing is your SES will be in Sanbox mode by default. When you’re in sandbox mode, you have to ALSO verify your testing “send-to” address in SES.

So I added my testing recieving email address and was able to test correctly. You then request to be removed from sandbox and things work as expected!

Resources:
Resolve the 554 or 400 “Message rejected” error on Amazon SES

1 Like

Same error here (btw I had to dig in content/logs to find the error message):

Error: Message failed: 554 Message rejected: Email address is not verified. The following identities failed the check in region US-EAST-1: noreply@gmail.com

When I try to change the email in “Newsletter email address” from noreply@<my-IP> is returns the error above and the button turn red, with “retry”.

Any help appreciated.

In config.development.json:

"mail": {
    "transport": "SMTP",
    "from": "my-email@gmail.com",
    "options": {
        "host": "email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com",
        "port": 465,
        "service": "SES",
        "auth": {
            "user": "my-ses-stmp-user",
            "pass": "my-ses-stmp-password"