Bunyan/Python Dependency/Replacement?

For users of the tryghost/content-api - how necessary is the Bunyan dependency? Any idea if it can be replaced with winston?

This would remove python build requirement and a potentially very annoying node-gyp build requirement.

@tryghost/content-api doesn’t depend on bunyan :confused: are you running into this issue when cloning the repository? If so, the bunyan dependency comes from Ghost Ignition which is needed in a different package (the SDK repo is a monorepo).

Ghost Ignition is used across many Ghost repositories, so I highly doubt switching logging providers would be supported

Sorry I meant https://github.com/TryGhost/Ignition
Yes, so Ignition wouldn’t support changing out Bunyan? Any way to remove the node-gyp / python dependencies safely?

As Ghost Ignition is used across many Ghost repositories, I highly doubt switching logging providers would be supported since I presume many consumers (both self-hosted and ghost-as-a-service providers) have infrastructure in place that depends on it.

Even if bunyan was removed, there are still a couple of binary dependencies - sharp and sqlite3 - that could cause issues. If you’re having issues with only dtrace, you might try looking if they provide prebuilt binaries