Can't import from zip

Hi!

I’m trying to migrate a blog from Medium to self-hosted Ghost. I successfully created a zip backup of Medium which is more than 100Mb.

I can’t upload this file via the Ghost dashboard due to an error:

Import failed
Request is larger than the maximum file size the server allows

Even though I did this: How to resolve image upload issues in Ghost. Apparently, these instructions are irrelevant to the importing tool.

Then I tried another way - import through the Ghost CLI. I uploaded my zip backup and ran:

$ ghost-mgr@ghost-ubuntu-s-1vcpu-1gb-amd-sgp1-01:/var/www/ghost$ ghost import gh-medium-export-livi-1637746050927.zip 
Killed

But as you see get a “Killed” response without any details. Even with the --verbose flag.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

P.S. Ghost was installed from the DigitalOcean Marketplace.

A Medium export zip is not the same as a Ghost export zip so you can’t import one directly into the other.

There are some docs for migrating from Medium here:

Yes, my Medium backup was created using @tryghost/migrate

And it was created successfully:

migrate medium medium-export-livi.zip
info Skipped files: 18
✔ Initializing Workspace
   →  Workspace initialized at /var/folders/h9/4hf04ywn79ngy8gvvck5cp880000gn/T/mg/002547a4ea3c297a500667b2bd1d582e-medium-e…
✔ Read Medium export zip
✔ Fetch missing data via WebScraper
 Total: 114. Complete: 114, Failed: 0, Skipped: 0, Disabled: 0
✔ Build Link Map
✔ Format data as Ghost JSON
✔ Fetch images via ImageSraper
 Total: 4119. Complete: 4119, Failed: 0, Skipped: 0, Disabled: 0
✔ Update links in content via LinkFixer
✔ Convert HTML -> MobileDoc
✔ Write Ghost import JSON File
✔ Write Ghost import zip
ok Successfully written output to /Users/user/medium_import/gh-medium-export-livi-1637746050927.zip in 175083ms.

Hello @chimit and welcome to the Ghost community!

This might help you:

The first thing to note is the part about NGINX config and also, if you are using Cloudflare, apparently their free CDN has a limit of 100MB upload.

Thanks for the answer! I’ve read that topic but I think it’s not my case. I’m using Cloudflare but proxy function is disabled for Ghost domain. So Cloudflare is only a DNS.

As I see in the zip backup there is a JSON file and a “content” folder which looks very similar with the standard “content” folder in a Ghost installation. I guess I can just copy this folder and import only the JSON file.

But there are 2 problems that stop me from it:

1. I’m not sure it’s the right way. It’s not documented anywhere.
  2. There is a mess with files/folders owners in the DO droplet: some folders belong to root, some to ghost, others to ghost-mgr. Again, it’s not documented.

P.S. Please, remove this ridiculous limitation: “Sorry, new users can only put one embedded media item in a post.”

OK, I did it and seems the plan above works.

Just need to change folders permissions after uploading them via SFTP:

$ chown ghost:ghost /var/www/ghost/content/images -R