Collecting postal addresses from members

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way we could collect postal addresses for members as part of the checkout process? Essentially we want to encourage people to become members by sending out small gifts as a membership bonus.

By default Stripe seems to collect billing details - although often people won’t enter anything - and that’s not always the right address to send items to anyway. I was wondering if anyone else has a solution for this.

Thanks,
Kris

3 Likes

plus one on this, i believe it make sense if we want to send a printed magazine to premium members

2 Likes

After they sign up, send them an email requesting their postal address.

I’d also recommend the same as @DonaldH, or use the Welcome page in Ghost to place some nice copy about sending a small gift to thank them for becoming a member, and linking/embedding a form to collect shipping info.

1 Like

That’s not a great solution to the problem. If we have a lot of people signing up it’s difficult to manage through sending emails. And sending people to the welcome page isn’t a great solution - it would be better to have this as part of the signup process. If we could easily customise the email people are sent on signup that could work, but really we should be able to customise the checkout process to enable collection of a postal address at minimum.

Welcome pages in Ghost are where people are automatically redirected to when they become a member (by clicking magic link). This is less friction than sending an extra email because it is part of the signup process. Info about how to implement a welcome page here.

Collecting a postal address in the sign-up process to sell digital content is not a common use case, and most people would rather opt-in to receive physical mail.

1 Like

Welcome pages aren’t really the best solution for most things. They’re a very Ghost solution to a problem - but that doesn’t mean it’s the best way to solve for something. Sending physical incentives to members is actually a fairly common way of encouraging signups for media organisations. Obviously if we did membership via Patreon this wouldn’t be an issue, but it would be great to have at least the option to include a postal address as part of the Ghost sign-up process.

How about having a generic “custom fields” option where people can optionally request additional info from those signing up? This would provide more flexibility for different use-cases (including print magazines, which I too would like an option for). Since these don’t have to be searchable, there’d be no harm in saving all these custom fields internally as a JSON blob field in the database, if that makes the implementation easier.

Are you thinking of this as part of the member portal signup form (the pop up window that comes after user clicks Subscribe button at the right bottom)?

Any update on this? I ship out a yearly hoodie to folks who subscribe and this would save me so much extra work.
If their is an integration of some other app that yall might suggest, currently I have people following a link to google forms but it has its own kinks.

Much thanks

I just recently signed up for a free Jotform subscription. You can create upto 5 forms for folks to fill out. very easy, convenient and could be used on the landing page after people subscribe with a gentle request to fill out.
If Ghost could create an integration with them that would be amazing but until then…this manner is much flashier looking then a google forms option.