Create multiple versions of a collections landing page

Hey - I’ve managed to get up and running with collections. So now I’m able to add multiple collections and get it to display the posts that I want - yay!!

My question is this:

With only 1 ‘homepage’, the hero title & text can be easily updated from inside the Ghost Admin.

However, if I now want to do the same but have a different one for each ‘collection’, I’m struggling to find where I would update that information.

so for example, if I had these 3 hypothetical pages:

/collection-1 (podcasts)
/collection-2 (news)
/collection-3 (courses)

And I wanted each of them to use the same template, but to display different ‘hero/header’ text: eg

collection 1: “Welcome to our podcasts - new shows broadcast every day”
collection 2: “Get the latest news on XYZ products”
collection 3: “View our latest online training courses - free”

How would this be done?

Can you share your routes.yaml file so we can better see how your routes are setup to use collections?

1 Like

sure :slight_smile:
(this is what I’ve been using to test with)

routes:

collections:
  /getting-started/:
       permalink: /getting-started/{slug}/
       template: custom-collection-podcast
       filter: primary_tag:getting-started
       data: tag.getting-started

/podcast/:
       permalink: /podcast/{slug}/
       template: podcast
       filter: primary_tag:podcast
       data: tag.podcast

/:
    permalink: /{slug}/
    template: index

taxonomies:
  tag: /tag/{slug}/
  author: /author/{slug}/

Just looking through all of the files - if I was to edit this, would that work?

(i.e. change ‘site-title’ to something to reflect the ‘collection / primary_tag’?)

That way, if I had 10 ‘collections’, would each of the H1 headers on the 10 x collection LPs pick up the collection or primary tag name (eg podcast, travel, food, money, destinations etc)
?

Like @Ian_R said, you could just edit the HTML of your custom podcast and getting started templates to add the image and header text you want there.

Spent the morning tweaking & testing bit by bit in my local ghost install (highly recommended) - I seem to have got it all working pretty much how I wanted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Ian_R and @markstos,

Please share how to do this in more details. I just created a collection page but it does not look really good:

I want to change the title and, if possible, to add a bigger cover image. In fact, how to make it look like this:

Here is my routes.yaml file:

routes:

collections:
  /:
    permalink: /{slug}/
    template: index
    filter: 'tag:-cn'
  /cn/:
    permalink: /cn/{slug}/
    template: index-cn
    filter: 'tag:cn'

taxonomies: