As mentioned in a previous thread, it’s not possible to exclude tags from the next/previous post functionality. I believe this would be useful to have, or even better, dynamic routing for the next/previous post helper, as I’ll explain with three use-cases.
I’m putting together the theme for a colleague that I’m migrating from Medium to Ghost. Not only does he have his own publication, but he is also published on many external sites. I got the idea to create quasi-posts for all of his external articles, quasi-posts which only display the feature image and title. The feature images and titles for these quasi-posts are displayed in the footer as well as on a dedicated page via a channel I created thanks to dynamic routing. Moreover, rather than reproduce these articles in their entirety I utilized the canonical URL field so that clicking on the title/feature image of one of these quasi-posts sends the reader to the external site where the entire article exists. Separate from this I wanted to add in next/previous post functionality to posts in the main blog feed, but then found out that the external articles that don’t appear in the main blog feed do however appear within the next/previous post “feed”. As there was no way around this I had to exclude the next/previous post helper from this theme.
I’ve put together a spec theme for another colleague (currently on WordPress), a colleague who has included/duplicated a couple of older/tiny “sub-blogs” as side-portions within his blog. I’ve reproduced all this in Ghost with channels/dynamic routing, although as I’ve noticed, the next/previous post functionality of the main blog feed is now “polluted” with posts from those other sub-blogs. I suppose I could rectify all this by changing all the posts of those sub-blogs to pages and then using a whole lot of routes rather than two channels, but I’d rather not do that if I didn’t have to.
I’ve had several posts from my personal blog translated to various languages. For a while now I’ve had them reproduced on my blog as pages, but just last week I got the idea to move them to posts and separate them all with channels. Works great. However, and as I just belatedly clued in (read: I should have known better), I’ve just somewhat messed things up since the translated posts now appear within the next/previous post section of posts in the main blog feed, which are not only out of place but also create all sorts of dead-ends and such (since translated posts don’t include the next/previous helper). Whoops.