Exporting custom posts from WordPress

I couldn’t export from WordPress to Ghost any custom posts. Is that the situation and is there any workarounds?

Custom posts (knowledge base, podcasts, reviews etc) are really common today. It is possible those are really hard to import, but it is matter of pure math: 2000 post and it takes about two minutes to copy manually one; it is two weeks job @ 4 hour a day.

That makes moving from WordPress to Ghost too expensive.

So — I would really like to hear how others have solve out this, because I can’t be the first one ;)

Ghost forum just offered me this old post, and I thought it was an interesting enough unanswered question to merit the bump. (Hello @Jagster, and I am sorry if you are no longer interested in Ghost and getting this notification.) Actually, I composed half an answer and THEN realized it was old. Yeah, thanks forum!

At the very worst, you could scrape these content items and use the Ghost API to insert the content (probably in an HTML card). I just did something similar for a Sendfox newsletter archive (about which I should post at some point in the near future - they have NO export tool!!?). It wasn’t that hard.

You could also use a plugin on your Wordpress site (or a local/staging copy of it if you don’t want to mess with a live site) to convert the CPT to a ‘normal’ post - then export from there.

It’s a little clunky, but it works.

If you have more than one CPT then you can do this once per CPT to keep them separated (deleting the staging site and starting again between CPTs)