Ghost Install Error - Failed Setting Up SSL: Failed to restart Nginx

So i’ve enabled development mode and checked the ports 80 and 443 are allowed. When I run ghost setup ssl I get SSL has already been set up, skipping ℹ Setting up SSL [skipped]. I’ve tried stopping the server and running but it made no difference.

I ran it as ghost setup --ssl based on something I saw when returning ghost ssl help, that seemed to work. All good for the naked (non www) domain.

I then had the issue of www not redirecting always or having an SSL cert. I eventually read that Ghost can only have one domain for SEO reasons and such so the process is as follows in this article.

I followed that advice but with the additional step of having to rename the following files to include ecc in them otherwise the config failed.

ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/www.mydomain.com_ecc/fullchain.cer;
ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/www.mydomain.com_ecc/www.bowiesensei.com.key;

No idea why it’s adding this ecc. I’m not sure if that’s an issue for DigitalOcean’s 1 click installer or for Ghost to resolve. My guess is DigitalOcean.

At first I didn’t know where to find those files but I then remembered where I’d seen them
/etc/nginx/sites-available

So I updated this thread with no responses to answer that.

Thanks for your help everyone, I really would have been stuck without it. I finally have the certificates working with www and non www versions.

Have a great week!

3 Likes