How hard to self-host?

If Nginx isn’t configured correctly, proxying via Cloudflare won’t help.

Nonetheless, if you have an issue, please post in Developer help, rather than piggybacking an old thread.

1 Like

To setup your cloudflare you don’t need to touch your hosting, but your DNS records… There is a complete guide on cloudflare for how to do that. Then in Page Rules on Cloudflare setup yourdomain/* Browser Cache TTL: an hour, Cache Level: Cache Everything, Edge Cache TTL: 7 days.

You can actually run it on a raspberry pi at home if cost is the issue. You don’t need any fancy command line skills either. Just use yunohost, flash it onto the pi and click the configuration.

But one other very nice way to self host is with pika pods.

You can run it for 2 bucks a month and dial storage, ram and CPU up and down whenever you need

Hi @block , thank you, would you have a link to this complet guide ? The Cloudflare doc is quide big and I am not sure to what you are referring to.

I will create a new topic sorry

I run a Intel NUC at home with Proxmox. I use a Linux Container within Proxmox that holds all of my docker containers that have to do with my website. This includes Cloudflared, Ghost and some databases. I use cloudflare tunnels to handle everything in between so that I don’t have to open any ports.

This isn’t that much different, to me, than using a VPS other than it’s sitting on my desk at my house. Other than the Cloudflare stuff I have absolute full control over everything.

It’s worth learning about self hosting at home if that kind of stuff interests you and Proxmox is pretty easy to use even though it seems a little intimidating at first.

Using a mini PC, I don’t see any difference in my power usage/bill. All I pay for is my $10/yr domain.

1 Like