How to do Post Series?

Hi,

This is not an original idea, but I’d like to bring this to the table so that we can discuss.

It was asked before about a month ago here but what I want is to have this as a functionality rather than a theme-level hack.

You can check this website to understand what “series” means in this context: www.cachestocaches.com. I’m giving this example, because in the past Medium also announced something called “series” but it is not what I’m asking.

If you open the webpage above, you’ll see a section that shows the details of blog posts on the right. It shows their categories, tags, publish dates, authors and most importantly, series.

Imagine a situation that you’re writing 5 posts that are explaining different parts of the same topic. They might have different tags, that’s totally fine. They might even belong to different categories. But without using a common tag, it’s impossible to gather these posts under the same page. This is where “series” comes in.

I hope this makes sense and I hope you consider building the feature.

Any feedback is more than welcome.

Cheers,
G.

I think this can be implemented via:

Hi @dsecareanu,

Thank you for your reply. But it’s again another hack.

So, for every series, I need to create a route entry.

routes:
  /series/from-zero-to-hero-something/: series-from-zero-to-hero-something
  /series/how-to-build-a-successful-company/: series-how-to-build-a-successful-company

Then, I need to create these hbs files, so that I can do this:

https://example.com/series/from-zero-to-hero-something/       -> series-from-zero-to-hero-something.hbs
https://example.com/series/how-to-build-a-successful-company/ -> series-how-to-build-a-successful-company.hbs

As I said above, I’m not looking for a hack to implement this, what I want from development team is that to implement this as a core functionality. So that we won’t have to use unnecessary hacks.

I hope it’s more clear now what I’m asking and why.

Cheers,
G.

Dynamic routing is not a hack. It’s a feature. And your use-case is made possible with that feature.

There are lots of ways to build different post series, and you certainly do not need to create a manual route for every entry - so it sounds like you haven’t read the docs which you’ve been linked to yet :slight_smile:

Moved topic to Themes category because this is not a new feature