Installing Ghost on Plesk CP Obsidian // How to change Node.js App Url?

I hope this is a quick Node.js fix / rerouting.

goal: install ghost on a subdirectory on Plesk (Obsidian) CP. Show HTML files on the root, and ghost-related pages in a subdirectory (/learn/)

After many hours of researching, and some help on the forum (see: Cannot Install Ghost on Plesk Obsidian with Nods.js - Developer help / Installation - Ghost Forum)

I was able to not only install Ghost on Plesk CP, but in a subdirectory.

The problem I have now is I’m guessing because of the Node.js settings on Plesk, “the application URL is listed at my root domain” - I get an error: “CANNOT GET /” when visiting the root domain. (mydomain .com)
Which makes sense.

I cannot change that “application url” on the front end.

But what I want to do is show my vanilla HTML file on my root domain (mydomain .com), but likely because of node .js, node.js is looking at my Root domain to initiate the application. How can I make it so node .js only initiates in the subdomain? (in this case, mydomain .com/learn/)

Thanks so much!

• What’s your URL? This is the easiest way for others to debug your issue
    smbmedpractice .com
  • What version of Ghost are you using?
    Latest 4.35
  • What configuration?
  • What browser?
    edge/chrome
  • What errors or information do you see in the console?
    “CANNOT GET /”

"

• What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?

I think to do it that way you would have to set up an actual subdomain “learn.mydomain.com” rather than as a subdirectory of the root. and install Ghost CMS there. That would free up your primary to host a vanilla HTML file.

@FifthRate Thanks chris, the more research i do, the more it seems like that’s the only course of action I have. I have found articles online with installing/running node.js as a subdirectory, but not in plesk.
The main reason I would want to use a subdirectory instead of a subdomain is because of google; google treats them completely different (a subdomain is basically considered a separate site).

1 Like