✨ Introducing Discourse on Ghost - Reimagining the integration!

@denvergeeks OK, that makes sense, but I have my Ghost installation as my top-level domain, so the Discourse needs to be a separate entity to that. I can see the benefit of @vikaspotluri123 application to facilitate smoother signing on between the two, but ultimately I think I need something that is more ‘out of the box’ and less prone to technical mistakes that I’m likely to make at some point along the way.

1 Like

I’m interested with Docker method please…
Many of us use Docker. If I can help in any way, I’ll be glad to.

Thanks for the tool @vikaspotluri123

I tested it and found it to be working.

I found that the official documentation was not clear (to me) at a few points and hence I wrote how I deployed it in this tutorial.

I hope others find it useful.

4 Likes

Hey Abhishek,

Thanks for the fantastic guide, I wanted to ask how to set things up if I have Ghost(Pro) + self hosted discourse instance on digital ocean? How do I do the ngnix part?

Glad you liked it, Ahmad.

From what I see in a comment by @vikaspotluri123 , it won’t be possible with Ghost Pro.

But then I am not an authority on this topic so please check with Ghost support and see if they could support it?

Ah that is unfortunate. I will check with support if there is an alternative sso solution

You’ll need to use the jwt auth method, and set up a dedicated subdomain (e.g. sso.your.site or dog.your.site) to host DoG :slight_smile:

For the nginx part, I haven’t had a chance to document exactly what settings you need (especially for routes not handled by DoG), but you can use any standard nginx template (with SSL enabled) and add the session mode config block in between.

I’m thrilled that steps in the right direction are starting to take place in the integration between the Ghost site and the community. Do I understand correctly, however, that forum registration and login will be based on Ghost accounts?

If that’s the case, is it possible to do the opposite, with Ghost using accounts from the Discourse forum?
I will explain why this is necessary. Let’s say you already have a Discourse forum and would like to host a blog or magazine or subscriptions or whatever you plan to use Ghost for.

Or let’s say you’re starting a community of pet lovers based on Discourse which will be located on the pets.com domain, and now you want to open 3 independent sites about cats, dogs and parrots: cats.com, dogs.com, parrots.com and you need to have one account link all three of these otherwise independent sites. And since people after reading articles go to comment on the forum, it should be a Discourse account.

It is difficult to imagine that one site has more than one community (more like communities in various environments, such as telegram, facebook, discord, and not 2 independent Discourse forums), but it is easy to imagine that one community has many thematic sites (and / or subscriptions) united by the theme of the community. Developing a community is a much more complex and time-consuming process, so it’s unlikely you could have many of them. However, a lot of article sites don’t require much attention and you can have dozens of them and update them as needed (or even have a staff of contributors).

Of course, I would like to see a full-fledged implementation of SSO in the Ghost core, but so far there is no such thing and there is no evidence that it will appear soon, despite the fact that this is the most requested feature in the Ideas section.

1 Like

Yes, that’s correct!

DoG is designed with Ghost as the source-of-truth. It becomes a lot more complicated to make Discourse the source of truth for Ghost, especially when it comes to paying members, and it’s not something I’m actively exploring at this time.

That’s something I’ve thought a bit about, and one of the proposals I’ve had is to have a “root” Ghost instance that aggregates the users across several properties.

My recollection is the SSO on Ghost request is for Staff, not Members, thought I might be mis-remembering!

In my example, when there are 3 independent sites cats.com, dogs.com, parrots.com, none of them can logically be an entry point for others. In this case, you need to allocate a special Ghost site for authorization, for example auth.pets.com, but in this case I do not know what could be the source of the truth.

Can a Discourse member’s profile be a source of truth? How it works?

It would be very strange to do so. For the Staff, it doesn’t really matter how many times they have to log in. But each barrier for potential customers is the loss of at least 20% of them.

Correct, that’s what I was suggesting :grinning: In effect, it’s the source of truth, and the individual sites would need to push any changes (e.g. name change) back to the special instance.

It might be possible with @Cathy_Sarisky’s Social sign-on for Ghost Integration now that I think about it.

Third party Single Sign On (SSO) was filed prior to Ghost’s native Membership feature

1 Like

Hello! That’s requires too much effort or could be done by small team?

We delayed our SSO because our community interactions are primarily on Discourse, so it’s mandatory for us to use as source of truth :slight_smile: