Is there a way to make the ToC overlap galleries?

Hi,
I followed the official tutorial to add a Table of Contents to my articles.

It works okay with stand-alone images that are larger than the main content.
Unfortunately, it gets completely hidden by gallery-type images. Is there a way to correct this?

Alternatively, is it possible to locate the ToC further away to take into account wide images?

Thanks for your help.

It’s possible to adjust the CSS (like the z-index) so that the TOC is above other content. But it’ll be difficult to offer any code without a live link. Are you able to share a link to your site? I’m also curious because those images look cool!

1 Like

Yes, of course! Thanks for your help. Here’s the link: https://cyberdrifter.studio

Adjusting the CSS with z-index solved the issue of the galleries hiding the ToC on scroll:

.gh-toc {
        position: sticky; /* On larger screens, TOC will stay in the same spot on the page */
        top: 4vmin;
        z-index: 1;
    }

Now I’m wondering if there’s a way to push it more to the left so that there’s no overlap at all between wide images and the ToC. I’m assuming doing this could create some responsiveness issues?

The CSS from our TOC tutorial should get you most of the way there:

.gh-content {
    position: relative;
 }

.gh-toc > .toc-list {
    position: relative;
}

.toc-list {
    overflow: hidden;
    list-style: none;
}

@media (min-width: 1300px) {
     .gh-sidebar {
        position: absolute; 
        top: 0;
        bottom: 0;
        margin-top: 4vmin;
        grid-column: wide-start / main-start; /* Place the TOC to the left of the content */
    }

.gh-toc {
        position: sticky; /* On larger screens, TOC will stay in the same spot on the page */
    }
}

.gh-toc .is-active-link::before {
    background-color: var(--ghost-accent-color); /* Defines TOC   accent color based on Accent color set in Ghost Admin */
} 

I’m confused. Are we not seeing the same thing?

I’ve checked on two different browsers and this is what I’m getting:

Here’s what it looks like for me on a large viewport:

That’s odd. I’ve checked on another computer and asked someone to check for me as well.

You’re the only one seeing it broken with numbering and dots.

Not sure why is that.

Weird! Are you on a Windows or Mac machine?

I’ve tried on both with Chrome, Safari and Firefox! My friend who checked for me was using Windows.

Quick follow-up on this. As pointed out by Ryan above, the z-index solution works.

However, it doesn’t solve the fact the ToC has to go above or behind wide content.

I find it very distracting during reading.

Is there a way to offset the ToC completely so it doesn’t overlap 1200px wide images?

As it is, it looks like this when pictures are set in wide mode:

And here’s what I’m trying to do:

For the record, I’m using the Casper theme and the ToC is the same as the one from the official tutorial.

Thanks.

I use padding-left: 20px; in

.gh-sidebar {
            padding-left: 20px;
        }

to push my ToC a bit further to the right but my ToC is on the right side. Maybe padding can be a parameter to play with? Not sure.

1 Like

Thanks for this. It works but it’s limited to the size of the actual content.

How did you move the ToC to the right side?

I have something like:

@media (min-width: 1300px) {
        .gh-sidebar {
            position: absolute; 
            top: 0;
            bottom: 0;
            margin-top: 4vmin;
            grid-column: main-end / full-end; /* Place the TOC to the right of the content */
            padding-left: 20px;
        }
        .gh-toc {
        }
    }
1 Like