Issue Building Tarball Archive From Ghost 5.48.0

Hi Ghost Community,

I am currently facing an issue when trying to build a Ghost installation from source. Specifically, I am unable to create a tarball archive.

Here is what I’m trying to achieve:

1. Clone the current Ghost version (5.48.0 at the time of writing).
  2. Make necessary changes.
  3. Build a tarball archive.
  4. Install it on my server with the CLI using the --archive flag.

I’m following the instructions given in the official Ghost documentation. Node is installed via nvm, the additional global packages are also installed, as per the documentation.

When I execute yarn build, Ghost builds successfully, but no tarball archive is produced. This is the output:

yarn run v1.22.19
$ lerna run build
lerna notice cli v6.6.2

✔  @tryghost/in-memory-repository:build (3s)
    ✔  @tryghost/post-revisions:build (4s)
    ✔  ghost:build (5s)
    ✔  @tryghost/admin-x-settings:build (8s)
    ✔  @tryghost/collections:build (5s)
    ✔  @tryghost/portal:build (9s)
    ✔  @tryghost/announcement-bar:build (11s)
    ✔  @tryghost/sodo-search:build (11s)
    ✔  ghost-admin:build (1m)

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

>  Lerna (powered by Nx)   Successfully ran target build for 9 projects (1m)

✨  Done in 65.46s.

To rule out that the changes I made were causing the issue, I performed the process again with a fresh clone and made no changes. However, I encountered the same issue - Ghost built, but the tarball did not.

For context, I have run this exact workflow without problems up to version 5.46.1. I’ve checked the changelogs for the subsequent versions, but I couldn’t identify any changes that would seemingly affect the build process.

I’m interested to know if anyone else has faced the same issue and any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Jannis

Fyi, in case anybody else is running into this problem:

This is a bug and is being handled here: Issue Building Tarball Archive · Issue #16835 · TryGhost/Ghost · GitHub

2 Likes