You’re correct, there really should be a tool or at least a guide for how to do this somewhere. We’re painfully aware of how difficult this stuff is right now, and from next week we’re going to be starting on a whole set of projects in this area.
Assuming you’re starting with a new droplet, the steps right now are something like:
- setup the new droplet
- install Ghost
- copy across the contents (lol) of the /content/ folder
- export your JSON on your old site
- import your JSON on your new site
- manually fix anything to do with the API or integrations, as no api clients or keys are copied over at the moment
- double check everything looks ok, particularly around newer features like routing or redirects
- switch your DNS & configure your domain on the new droplet
Alternatively, sack this off for a month, come back and do it just in time for Ubuntu 14 EOL and hopefully we’ll have at the very least fixed a few more importer issues so that you have less manual steps and more clarity on what exactly happens.