Migrating Ghost blog/data to a new server (droplet)

Hi!
I am currently using Digital Ocean as the main host and wanted to migrate from ubuntu 14 to 16. My question is: is there any simple way to back up everything and “migrate”?

As far as I know, I should:

• Export the JSON file (Labs)
  • Back up Media / Content folder (and paste that in the new droplet)
  • Back up code injection content.

Are these steps enough? Am I missing something or some tool that may do the process easier?

Just in case, I’m using ghost 2.17.2 with latest Casper.

Hey!

You’re correct, there really should be a tool or at least a guide for how to do this somewhere. We’re painfully aware of how difficult this stuff is right now, and from next week we’re going to be starting on a whole set of projects in this area.

Assuming you’re starting with a new droplet, the steps right now are something like:

1. setup the new droplet
  2. install Ghost
  3. copy across the contents (lol) of the /content/ folder
  4. export your JSON on your old site
  5. import your JSON on your new site
  6. manually fix anything to do with the API or integrations, as no api clients or keys are copied over at the moment
  7. double check everything looks ok, particularly around newer features like routing or redirects
  8. switch your DNS & configure your domain on the new droplet

Alternatively, sack this off for a month, come back and do it just in time for Ubuntu 14 EOL and hopefully we’ll have at the very least fixed a few more importer issues so that you have less manual steps and more clarity on what exactly happens.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!
A guide could be a great first step. Also, a tool would be definitely better but I think you have features with more value and priority in your roadmap.
As I’m using a pure ghost with a pure Casper, no need to worry about API or complex integrations.
I will wait just a few weeks and then maybe investing a few hours to do everything.
Again, Thank you!!

Question, cause I keep holding on doing the same thing as well:

• if you have redirects.json this needs to be moved over as well, right?
  • assume the same with routes and other stuff as well?

Thanks!

Yes, you’ll have to download your current redirects.json before moving and upload it in the new droplet. Same thing goes for routes as well.

The redirects and routes files live in content/settings.

If you do step 3, and copy across the full contents of your /content/ folder, then they will automatically be brought across.

1 Like

Oooh… I did not know that. Thanks for the pro tip! :slight_smile:

closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.