Not able to invite @gmail accounts

Hi all,

Since a short while I am not able to invite staff that have an @gmail.com email address. All the other email providers seem to work, so it looks like a specific Gmail problem.

Problem:
Inviting staff with an @gmail.com email address does not work, all other providers work.

Error:
“Error sending email! Error sending email: Failed to send email. Please check your email settings and resend the invitation.”

I have not setup any email settings, and I am not planning to. It used to work like a charm, but recently this happened. I am the admin of a blog, where I use my Gmail account as my email address. But a colleague with another email provider is getting the same error. To me, it sounds like some error not connected to me but to either Ghost or Mailgun(?).

Welcome to Ghost! If you want some help, you’re going to need to provide more information.

Self-hosted Ghost has no ability to send email whatsoever without configuration, so either you configured email at some point in the past, or you’re using some prebuilt image that has it.

So… please post some more information. Your Ghost config.production.json (or docker compose, if relevant) with any passwords & secrets removed would be a good place to start.

Google is super picky about the configuration of mailservers that contact it, so it’s not surprising that you’d have a problem. Here’s what I had to do to get my self-hosted server delivering to gmail: How I finally got Google to accept my Ghost contact form mail

… but until we know what route your emails are supposed to be taking, I’m not even sure it’s relevant! :slight_smile:

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome :smiley:
I am running a docker image of Ghost. Here is a copy of the docker-compose.yml, which is probably very old.

version: "3.5"
services:
  ghost:
    container_name: "ghost"
    image: ghost:4.2.0-alpine
    volumes:
      - ghost-content:/var/lib/ghost/content
      - ./ghost-content/routes.yaml:/var/lib/ghost/content/settings/routes.yaml
    ports:
      - "x:x"
    environment:
            - url=x

This information really doesn’t help much, either, since it doesn’t say anything about mail transport. The source of the Docker image may help you here.

Nonetheless, you are running an old, and unsupported version of Ghost.

IIRC, Google made some changes in February that may affect email delivery.

Your best option is to create a new up-to-date Ghost instance, test this, and then migrate your site. Then, be sure to keep Ghost up-to-date.

1 Like