Not understanding the new taxonomies

If you’re looking for some help, it’s important to provide as much context as possible so that people are able to assist you. Try to always mention:

• What’s your URL? This is the easiest way for others to debug your issue a-view.org
  • What version of Ghost are you using? 2.05
  • What configuration? on Digital Ocean self-hosted on nginx and Ubuntu 16.04
  • What browser? Safari
  • What errors or information do you see in the console? NONE
  • What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?

I just upgrade to 2.0x. A few hiccups but ghost update --force blasted through. Everything works fine.

When you do this upgrade, you get a default routes yaml that looks like:

routes:

collections:
  /:
    permalink: /{slug}/
    template:
      - index

taxonomies:
  tag: /tag/{slug}/
  author: /author/{slug}/

I thought this would enable me to reach posts as (in the case of this specific blog):
https://a-view.org/bike-across-america/we-did-it.

But, this leads to a 404. Is there something else I need to setup to get a tag based permalink? Or are taxonomies only useful with filters?

Big gaps in my understanding. This was easy on wordpress.

Taxonomies are what control tag and author pages - e.g. the page tag/bike-across-america that will show all of your posts with that tag. The new dynamic routing feature is documented here:

If you want to change the permalink structure for your posts, you’d need to change the permalink setting for the / collection. Assuming you’re looking for the first tag of each post to appear in the url, you’d want to change it to

permalink: /{primary_tag}/{slug}/

Of course, if you think WordPress is better you are free to use it… I’m not really sure what that comment was meant to accomplish.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.