Problem installing Ghost locally - Message: Command failed: yarn install --no-emoji --no-progress

Hi everybody,

I’m facing problems installing Ghost locally on my Mac using node. I know this problem has already been talked about in this forum, but I didn’t manage to use the solutions…
It has been several days since I have this problem and I can’t find solutions on my own. I already looked in the forum and on the internet, the solutions I found didn’t work.

I followed every steps mentionned here : How to install Ghost locally on Mac, PC or Linux

This morning I installed yarn using Homebrew but I keep getting the same error messages when I try to install Ghost.

Here it is :

MacBook-Air-de-Clement:ghost Clement$ ghost install local
:heavy_check_mark: Checking system Node.js version - found v14.17.0
:heavy_check_mark: Checking current folder permissions
:heavy_check_mark: Checking memory availability
:heavy_check_mark: Checking free space
:heavy_check_mark: Checking for latest Ghost version
:heavy_check_mark: Setting up install directory
:heavy_multiplication_x: Downloading and installing Ghost v4.4.0
A ProcessError occurred.

Message: Command failed: yarn install --no-emoji --no-progress
Error: EACCES: permission denied, open ‘/Users/Clement/.config/yarn’
at Object.openSync (fs.js:498:3)
at readFileSync (fs.js:394:35)
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100892:58
at Array.map ()
at parseRcPaths (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100890:78)
at Object.findRc (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100904:10)
at getRcConfigForCwd (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:56916:74)
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:92255:56
at Generator.next ()
at step (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:310:30)

Exit code: 1

Debug Information:
Node Version: v14.17.0
Ghost-CLI Version: 1.17.2
Environment: development
Command: ‘ghost install local’

When I run ghost doctor, this is what I get : Working directory is not a recognisable Ghost installation.

The additional log info states this :

Debug Information:
Node Version: v14.17.0
Ghost-CLI Version: 1.17.2
Environment: development
Command: ‘ghost install local’
Message: Command failed: yarn install --no-emoji --no-progress
at Array.map ()
at parseRcPaths (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100890:78)
at Object.findRc (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100904:10)
at getRcConfigForCwd (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:56916:74)
at Generator.next ()
at step (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:310:30)

Exit code: 1

--------------- stderr ---------------
at Array.map ()
at Generator.next ()

I really don’t know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot !

The issue is that yarn (a package manager and dependency of Ghost) is unable to open a specific file -

EACCES: permission denied, open ‘/Users/Clement/.config/yarn

Try checking the permissions on the file and make make sure it’s readable

Hey @vikaspotluri123

Huge thanks for your answer. I had already try to check for the file but I couldn’t find it… Thanks to your answer I tried to look for it deeper. Ghost is now installed :slight_smile:

Just in order to help somebody who might have the same problem in the future, here is what happened and what I did.

1. When looking for the file “/Users/Clement/.config/yarn” in Finder > Go > Go to folder, I had a message saying that the file didn’t exist.

2. The file is in fact hidden. In order to make hidden files appear in the finder, you have to run 2 commands in the Terminal :

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true
[Enter]
killall Finder
  1. Click right on .config file and select “read the information” and from there you can change the permission on the file.

Thanks again for your help.