Problem installing Ghost locally - Message: Command failed: yarn install --no-emoji --no-progress

Hi everybody,

I’m facing problems installing Ghost locally on my Mac using node. I know this problem has already been talked about in this forum, but I didn’t manage to use the solutions…
It has been several days since I have this problem and I can’t find solutions on my own. I already looked in the forum and on the internet, the solutions I found didn’t work.

I followed every steps mentionned here : How to install Ghost locally on Mac, PC or Linux

This morning I installed yarn using Homebrew but I keep getting the same error messages when I try to install Ghost.

Here it is :

MacBook-Air-de-Clement:ghost Clement$ ghost install local
:heavy_check_mark: Checking system Node.js version - found v14.17.0
:heavy_check_mark: Checking current folder permissions
:heavy_check_mark: Checking memory availability
:heavy_check_mark: Checking free space
:heavy_check_mark: Checking for latest Ghost version
:heavy_check_mark: Setting up install directory
:heavy_multiplication_x: Downloading and installing Ghost v4.4.0
A ProcessError occurred.

Message: Command failed: yarn install --no-emoji --no-progress
Error: EACCES: permission denied, open ‘/Users/Clement/.config/yarn’
at Object.openSync (fs.js:498:3)
at readFileSync (fs.js:394:35)
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100892:58
at Array.map ()
at parseRcPaths (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100890:78)
at Object.findRc (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100904:10)
at getRcConfigForCwd (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:56916:74)
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:92255:56
at Generator.next ()
at step (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:310:30)

Exit code: 1

Debug Information:
Node Version: v14.17.0
Ghost-CLI Version: 1.17.2
Environment: development
Command: ‘ghost install local’

When I run ghost doctor, this is what I get : Working directory is not a recognisable Ghost installation.

The additional log info states this :

Debug Information:
Node Version: v14.17.0
Ghost-CLI Version: 1.17.2
Environment: development
Command: ‘ghost install local’
Message: Command failed: yarn install --no-emoji --no-progress
at Array.map ()
at parseRcPaths (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100890:78)
at Object.findRc (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:100904:10)
at getRcConfigForCwd (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:56916:74)
at Generator.next ()
at step (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/ghost-cli/node_modules/yarn/lib/cli.js:310:30)

Exit code: 1

--------------- stderr ---------------
at Array.map ()
at Generator.next ()

I really don’t know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot !

The issue is that yarn (a package manager and dependency of Ghost) is unable to open a specific file -

EACCES: permission denied, open ‘/Users/Clement/.config/yarn

Try checking the permissions on the file and make make sure it’s readable

Hey @vikaspotluri123

Huge thanks for your answer. I had already try to check for the file but I couldn’t find it… Thanks to your answer I tried to look for it deeper. Ghost is now installed :slight_smile:

Just in order to help somebody who might have the same problem in the future, here is what happened and what I did.

1. When looking for the file “/Users/Clement/.config/yarn” in Finder > Go > Go to folder, I had a message saying that the file didn’t exist.

2. The file is in fact hidden. In order to make hidden files appear in the finder, you have to run 2 commands in the Terminal :

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles true
[Enter]
killall Finder
  1. Click right on .config file and select “read the information” and from there you can change the permission on the file.

Thanks again for your help.

For Jino server restarting ‘ghost install’ several times worked. It’s may be somehow related to RAM limits.