Run Ghost on 1GB RAM without getting stuck - Solution 🥳

Hi,

Thank you @thimiraonline for this tutorial. I will try to follow it. It may be a solution to all my problems. I have several questions that I would like to try to ask here, hoping that someone can help me.

I am not a developer, but I believe in open source. So I got motivated a year ago to learn how to host a ghost blog on a Digital Ocean droplet. I followed a tutorial from @martinverbic who I thank.

I have different writing projects and stupidly, without thinking, I created 4 droplets. 40€/month currently, oops.

They all have several problems, two major ones that I can’t seem to solve.

1. I imagine that the first one, the cpu spikes, could be solved by swap spaces. Is this the case? There is almost no traffic on my blogs and randomly I get downtime alerts.
  2. The second problem is this cli error that I encounter at every update. I am simply forced to manually remove Ghost from the server in order to do the update. @RyanF gave me this workaround, fortunately. It’s not unbearable, but okay. I can imagine something better for my future. Can swap space also solve this problem?
  3. Before adding swap space on my droplets, shouldn’t I migrate all my blogs to the same droplet? Or start from 0 on a droplet? Can we correctly separate the DNS zones anyway? Is the migration complicated? Any help is welcome. I am willing to pay for this topic. I specify that I hope to get a lot of traffic on each of my blogs in the long run. These are long term projects.
  4. Are mySQL and Nginx important in this optimization process? Cloudflare also ? Here is a topic where @jazmy is mentioning these points.

I then have 2 secondary questions:

A. Docker: I own 4 Ghost blogs, one n8n, one Baserow, 1 cal.com. All these tools are open source and Docker compatible. Is it worth it to stick to it? Will it be cheaper ? more efficient ? I’m afraid it’s too technical for me. But in the end I wonder if this is not the solution I should go for. Any help is welcome. I can also pay for this topic.

B. Cloudways: DO has been offering Cloudways for some time. Does anyone know about it? Advise, recommend? It sounds expensive.

Thank you for your attention,

Have a great evening (it’s evening in France),

Bastien.