I’d like to upgrade Ghost from a quite old version I’m currently running to a more recent one. I’ve tried upgrading about two years ago on my own and ran into troubles. I didn’t seek support back then but am now. Unfortunately, I don’t recall what specifically the troubles I had were.
I think I have two paths forward, based on the details below.
- Upgrade my current setup and upgrade Ghost.
- Spin up a 1click install droplet for Ghost alongside my existing droplet and migrate the data from my current ghost install over, as well as the domain.
I’d prefer to go with option 1 if that’s possible. If so, can you please help me with any guidance you can provide to get me started? How do I determine my current version number? Do I need to do certain jumps from where I’m at to get to the latest or can I go from where I am straight to the latest (seems unlikely)?
What’s your URL?
What version of Ghost are you using?
Uncertain. What file can I look at to determine this? I’ve previously tried upgrading Ghost and set it down for a year or more and am revisiting it. I’m running pre- 0.5.0 as there’s an “upgrade available” for 0.5.0 message when I login.
Digital Ocean droplet (not pre-install/1click install)
Ubuntu 12.04 x64
512 MB Memory
What errors or information do you see in the console?
What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?
Thank you for your help and guidance in advance.
- Backup your data dir…/content/ghost
- Export a backup via the lab section
Upgrade from 0.xx to 1.25.5, ensure it’s working / Export a backup via the lab section
Upgrade from1.25.5 to 2.3.0, ensure it’s working / Export a backup via the lab section
There is also the ghost-cli that you might want to install which make to upgrades easier. Search this forum many people asked before
There is no direct upgrade path from Ghost 0.x to Ghost 1.0 - or rather, that upgrade requires you to start a new blog and move your content, so you have to go with option 2 no matter what.
There’s also no way to import pre 1.0 content into a Ghost v2 blog.
The v1 migration guide is here: https://docs.ghost.org/faq/upgrade-to-ghost-1-0
And the v2 migration guide is here: https://docs.ghost.org/faq/upgrade-to-ghost-2-0/
The upgrade path would therefore be one of the following.
If you want to work on Ghost locally -
- Install the CLI locally
- Install Ghost v1.0 using the migration guide but with
ghost install --v1 local
- Follow the v1 migration guide
- Follow the v2 migration guide
- Then spin up the DO 1-click which will be on 2.0 and import your content
Or if you want to work entirely on the server
- Spin up the DO 1-click, you’ll have a fresh copy of 2.0 to play with
- make a new folder like /var/www/mysite and do
ghost install --v1 in there
- follow the v1 migration guide
- follow the v2 migration guide
- assuming you did all that in /var/www/mysite then clean up the original fresh 2.0 install that lives in /var/www/ghost by going to that folder and running
Hannah, thank you! I’m up and running on the latest version now.
This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.