Subscribe button doesn't work

I could not use the subscriptions button. Everything I setup seems to be ok. However, when someone tries to subscribe, the button keeps loading and don’t let the user to subscribe. I really appreciate any help, my blog is [Javierreina.com]

Installed Themes: Lyra Version 1.0.0
Node Version: v12.20.0
Ghost Version: 3.39.3
Ghost-CLI Version: 1.15.2
Environment: production

→ I configured my DNS records in AWS Route 53 without any problem
→ I setup config.production.json with Mailgun SMTP credentials
“mail”: {
“transport”: “SMTP”,
“options”: {
“service”: “Mailgun”,
“host”: “smtp.mailgun.org”,
“port”: 587,
“secureConnection”: true,
“auth”: {
“user”: “",
“pass”: "
**”

→ I run Ghost doctor without any error
:information_source: Validating config [skipped]
:heavy_check_mark: Checking folder permissions
:heavy_check_mark: Checking file permissions
:heavy_check_mark: Checking content folder ownership
:heavy_check_mark: Checking memory availability
:heavy_check_mark: Checking binary dependencies
:heavy_check_mark: Checking free space

→ I also configured the Mailgun API in Ghost admin

As you can see everything seems to be fine. I appreciate your help to see if there is something I can do to solve the subscription problem in the blog.

Hi Javi,

Can you post the entire mail config, just to make sure you closed the brackets properly?

I checked my config and is almost identical, just that I didn’t use the “secureConnection: true” option.

Also, need to make sure your Mailgun config is properly done as well.

The official docs are here: Configuration - Adapt your publication to suit your needs.

1 Like

Hi Daniel!

Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it.
Mail config
↓↓↓

{
“url”: “http://www.javierreina.com”,
“server”: {
“port”: ,
“host”: “127.0.0.1”
},
“database”: {
“client”: “mysql”,
“connection”: {
“host”: “localhost”,
“user”: "
",
“password”: "
*****",
“database”: “ghost_prod”
}
},
“mail”: {
“transport”: “SMTP”,
“options”: {
“service”: “Mailgun”,
“host”: “smtp.mailgun.org”,
“port”: 587,
“secureConnection”: true,
“auth”: {
“user”: “",
“pass”: "

}
}
},
“logging”: {
“transports”: [
“file”,
“stdout”
]
},
“process”: “systemd”,
“paths”: {
“contentPath”: “/home/ubuntu/var/www/ghost/content”
}
}

Mailgun config seems to be ok. However, I attached the DNS config
↓↓↓

Thank you!!

The config looks ok and I assume your Mailgun should be ok as well. Unsure what could be the issue. Do you have access to your web server and can you check the logs (maybe the error there could shed some light on this)?

Daniel, I am using AWS EC2. I also try to send with SMTP using Mailgun instructions
↓↓↓

I have an error when I run this code
↓↓↓
=== Trying smtp mailgun org:25…
Error connecting to smtp mailgun org:25:
IO::Socket::INET: connect: timeout

Yesterday, I spent all day checking everything but it looks ok for me as well. I don’t know what else to do Daniel.

You have your Mailgun setup as secure on port 587 so you should modify that script accordingly (now it tries to connect on port 25, which is default SMTP port, but you should connect on port 587). However, your Ghost config should work…

Daniel, Ghost looks amazing. However, I think it would be better to continue with wordpress since there have been lots of difficulties doing the setup for Ghost.

I really appreciate your help. However, after reviewing everything I still don’t understand why the subscription button in Ghost doesn’t work.

You should also check if you have any firewall rules that might restrict/block your unbound traffic, but unless you explicitly enabled this, it shouldn’t be the case (but worth to check anyways).

You could also check your content/logs/ folder (and the error file in there) to see if there’s any hint on what the email issue could be.

As always, the nginx error log file can also provide additional info that could help to debug this issue.

I wish I could help more, but without access to server is hard to pinpoint the problem.

I had the same problem with subscriptions when I was hosting my Ghost site on Digital Ocean and I was using the default (direct) email setup, which failed to deliver emails and thus made the registration process hang. The solution in that case was to do the Mailgun implementation as in your case.

Daniel, I really appreciate your help and your time.
I will try to check it again everything with all your advices.

Thank you and I wish you a wonderful 2021!