Unable to upgrade Ghost from v4.2.0 to v4.3.0 (CASCADE - UNKNOWN_CODE_PLEASE_REPORT)

IMHO:

1. Yes to backups! You should be taking backups of your databases regularly, and SQL formats are best because they can be loaded into a newer version of MySQL/MariaDB. Here’s an old post on this: Best practice for backup database and all content - #2 by jeff. There may be a more modern way to do this.
  2. Ubuntu and Debian upgrades are usually pretty safe when they hit production - there are always notes to look at, and MySQL/MariaDB always need a check afterwards. I run the upgrades early on test servers, and about a month after release dates in production. I am already running the next version on my development boxes, which is Debian pre-release Alpha3 aka bullseye, expected out this June.
  3. Once you have issued your ALTER SCHEMA you have made the change permanent so you won’t need to do that next time.

The only additional thing is to run mysqlcheck -o from time to time - maybe every quarter, when there are no updates being performed, as part of your database health maintenance.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes