Any reason not to use SQLite3 in production?

I’ve run different production installs in the past using SQLite3 going back to before Ghost 1.0. If I recall SQLIte3 was actually the preferred install but sometime it seems to have changed to MySQL.

Is there a good reason for this? I see the Developer and Local installs still prefer SQLite3. Is it because SQLite3 can’t handle a busier site or ? Just curious before doing a new install.

Not in my experience. SQLite is pretty good for most sites. From the documentation:

SQLite usually will work great as the database engine for low to medium traffic websites (which is to say, 99.9% of all websites). The amount of web traffic that SQLite can handle depends, of course, on how heavily the website uses its database. Generally speaking, any site that gets fewer than 100K hits/day should work fine with SQLite. The 100K hits/day figure is a conservative estimate, not a hard upper bound. SQLite has been demonstrated to work with 10 times that amount of traffic.
[…]
But if your website is so busy that you are thinking of splitting the database component off onto a separate machine, then you should definitely consider using an enterprise-class client/server database engine instead of SQLite.

1 Like

thanks, this is what I was looking for.

There is a good reason for that. If you have more than 1000 members, SQLite3 starts creating problems specially with sending emails.

We have had troubles with it and had to migrate to MariaDB after some struggles. Just search the forum for sqlite3 and you’ll see why it was dropped (if it was dropped).