Changes do not appear online

Hello there,

I’m pretty new in Ghost space.
I’ve a problem modifying the theme.

When I modify any hbs file (textes, img …) the changes do not apply online.
While locally I can modify everything without problem.

I tested permissions on my server and run ghost doctor on it, but everything is ok.
Any ideas ?

Anto

If you’re running Ghost in production, directly modifying the theme files won’t have any effect as they’re cached - you would have to restart Ghost for the changes to be picked up :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s probably the case that your local ghost is set to development, and your ‘online’ ghost (on a server somewhere?) is set to production.

Restarting ghost may be sufficient. Try that first, since it’s easy.

If it’s still not working, you will need to install gulp and get it watching for changes. This page details theme customization: GitHub - TryGhost/Starter: A development starter theme for Ghost

1 Like

I can only use gulp locally and update my theme files after the compilation, right?

Right. I develop locally, with gulp (started with ‘yarn dev’) running. That makes most of my changes update immediately, EXCEPT if I add a new hbs file, I still have to restart ghost. [If someone would like to come along and tell me how to get it to pick up new hbs files too, that’d be cool.) Then when I’ve got it how I want it, I use ‘gulp zip’ to create the zip file, which I then upload to the server using the web interface. You still have to transfer over routes.yaml & redirects.yaml (if you have them) and do any code injection, tag making, etc that needs to happen, too.

1 Like

I should absolutely do this (Official Ghost + GitHub Integration) just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

That’s pretty cool to save time. I’ll give it a try ;)